Lost Child | Teen Ink

Lost Child

By njhank BRONZE, Point Hope, Alaska, Alaska
njhank BRONZE, Point Hope, Alaska, Alaska

I was only about 4 years old the first time I got lost.  It happened at the mall when we took a family trip to Anchorage.  We all had to hold hands that day because the mall was very crowded.  My parents took my older sister and me to see the malls aquarium.  The room was glowing purple and blue.  The room was almost dark but the fish tank lights made the the room these glowing colors.  There were so many fish, it would probably take me a week to count them all!  They looked strange, but fascinating at the same time.  I could tell the mall was closing soon because some of the stores were closing up.  Not long after, the big speakers on the ceilings announced that the mall would be closing in 15 minutes.  As our little family was leaving, my eyes caught the coolest fish I’d have ever seen.  It was an orange fish with white stripes.  I quietly snuck away from my family and ran off to the fish without even thinking.  There were about five fish in the medium-sized tank.  As I was observing the fish, two old women came up to me and said, “hello.”.  I looked up, curious about their presence.  They told me the orange fish were called clownfish, and I laughed.

“Why are you here alone?”, asked one of the women.  She had light brown hair, wore glasses, and I could tell she was short without her high heels.  The other women was a little shorter, had bright blond hair and also wore glasses.

“I wanted to see the fish up close.  They’re very pretty,“ I said.
  “Yes they are, but where are your parents?” asked the blond women.
  I thought for and a second and realized what I had done.  “I don’t know,” I said worriedly.
  “We can take you home! You can come with us and stay at our house until we find your parents,” said the brown haired lady.
  I looked at both of these women.  I was shocked.  These old ladies were crazy.  My parents said never talk to strangers anyway.  “No thank you,” I said, trying to be polite.

“But we insist, please! A little child shouldn’t be here alone!” said the old ladies.  These old ladies were mad and I didn’t feel comfortable around them anymore.  Maybe they were trying to help, but I didn’t know them.  I couldn’t just trust someone I just met.  This was too confusing.  The old ladies were still blabbering, I was still thinking, and the fish were still swimming.  I finally made a decision. “Thank you for your help,” I smiled and walked away.  I’m pretty sure the old ladies’ jaws dropped right then.  It kind of sucked because I couldn’t say goodbye to the fish, but I couldn’t worry about them now; I had to find my family and fast. The mall would be closing in about five minutes and my parents were probably worried sick about me.  I knew they’re looking for me, but they should have found me by now. Maybe they thought they lost me in the crowd earlier, thinking it swept me somewhere else.

I saw an officer standing next to a gate where a store was closed.  He was a tall man in a cop uniform.  He looked like a nice guy.
  “Do you know where my parents are?” I asked the man.
  “Are you lost? I can help you find your parents,” he said.
  “Yes,” I said trying not to cry.  I didn’t want to cry and I didn’t.  If I did I would of looked like a baby.
  “Stay here and don’t move, I will be right back,” said the man as he walked away.

I couldn’t see him anymore because he went around the corner.  I turned around and saw the fish tank not too far away.  I wanted to say goodbye to the fish, but I was too mad at them for getting me in this situation.  I looked away and forced myself not think of them.  It was getting boring and the police man never came back.  I sat down on a bench near where I was standing.  I missed home. I couldn’t get lost at home. I missed my dog and my bed.  Thinking made me tired and I hoped that the cop would hurry and find my parents.  I was worried.  What if they already left without me? Did they realize I was gone?  I bit on my nails for about five minutes until I heard footsteps coming.  It sounded like more than one, and I knew he had my parents with him.  I jumped up from the bench and ran.  I saw my mom’s face, and she looked sick.  My dad’s face just looked relieved.  We hugged each other and thanked the cop.  I gave the cop a handshake.  We left the mall, and my mom gave me one last hug before we went into the car.  I sat down, buckled my seat, and sighed.  Before closing my eyes, I gave one last look at the mall.  Maybe someday we would look back at this and laugh.

We had a class assignment on writing an embarrassing story.  It took me a while to think of which story to write.  I have many embarrassing expierences but I didn't want to write something too embarrassing.  So I finally decided to write this one.  I hope you enjoy this funny story of mine.