Helen Keller's Great Obstacle | Teen Ink

Helen Keller's Great Obstacle

By Jared Boehl BRONZE, Claremont, Illinois
Jared Boehl BRONZE, Claremont, Illinois

“I am the only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do”, said Helen Keller. One summer day I was playing outside with my two dogs, Frank and Bobby. I grabbed a tennis ball and threw it for them to go and fetch it, but they did not go fetch. Then I realized that since they were puppies they did not know how to fetch, so that day I took on the impossible mission of teaching Frank and Bobby how to fetch. Much like Helen Keller overcame the obstacle of not being able to communicate, I too will overcome the task of teaching my dogs to fetch.
Helen Keller had to overcome the obstacle of being able to communicate. When Helen was a baby she got sick and became blind and deaf. The Kellers hired Annie Sullivan to teach Helen. Annie was able to teach Helen trust, obedience, and language to overcome her obstacle.
Like Helen Keller overcoming her obstacle, I have to overcome my obstacle. On the first day of training I crouched down to their level and put one of their chew toy ropes in front of their nose for them to get used to the rope and then I threw it, they chased after it and then started fighting over the rope. I threw the rope a few more times, but they did not bring it back to me. My dogs still have to learn the art of playing fetch.
Although our obstacles are different we share a few similarities. Much like Helen I am determined to finish what I start. Also, my family has helped me teach the dogs. Those are just two of many similarities that Helen and I share.
Helen overcame her obstacle of not being able to communicate, and I will overcome my obstacle of training my dogs to fetch. What I learned from Helen’s experience is that when life has you down, get back up and keep fighting. What I learned from my experience is to never quit trying until you succeed. In the lasting words of Helen Keller “Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence”.