Devil Dog | Teen Ink

Devil Dog

By Libster GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida
Libster GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida

I was six. It was Halloween. In April of that year, my family had gotten a new dog, on the Humane Society had rescued her off the streets, and we named her Cocoa.
So, on that Halloween, my family decided it would be a great idea to take the mostly untrained puppy trick-or-treating with us, even going to the extent of dressing her in a costume. . We picked a devil costume as a joke, since everyone who knew her knew how mischievous she was.
However, Cocoa did not think the joke was funny. Merely minutes after dressing her, she had wriggled out of the costume and begun to chew it up. Eventually we got the costume back on, and distracted her long enough that she forgot about it. We stepped outside, and the very first thing Cocoa did was attack our freshly carved Jack-O’-Lanterns. Luckily they were yet to be lit, or else we would have had a bigger problem on our hands!
Eventually, we cleaned up, and salvaged some of our pumpkins. We started down the street once more, this time keeping a stronger grip on the leash. We did not want any of the neighbors’ pumpkins falling to Cocoa’s wrath. 
We made it down the street slower than usual, because Cocoa wanted to stop and greet every other child outside- and maybe try and steal their candy. Sadly for Cocoa, the kids were unwilling to give up their spoils. But luckily the night was not a complete waste for her, as almost every house that gave my brother and I candy, had doggie treats for Cocoa. Our neighbors were as dog friendly as possible, and on that night Cocoa made her reputation as the favorite dog on the street for many people.
Every time she turned back to look at us, she would be startled by my brother’s costume. He was wearing a ghost face mask and a long robe, and Cocoa could not seem to figure out who he was. Every couple of minutes, she would look back happily, and then see my brother and stop, head cocked, ears and tail up, and whine in confusion.
All night she trotted happily beside us, her lopsided devil-horned hat adding on to the cute factor she was using on the neighbors to earn more treats. Occasionally, we would stumble on a person whose costume scared or confused her, and she would bark or stare intently at them until her attention was needed elsewhere.
When we returned home, Cocoa was so full of doggie biscuits that she immediately fell asleep, leaving my brother and me to trade candies alone.
The plethora of biscuits was not enough to tide Cocoa over for long, seeing as by the next morning, she had gotten up on the counter and stolen some of our candy that was left out. Surprisingly she was not sick, despite eating the wrappers as well. From that moment on, we knew she had a stomach of steel, since many of the things she stole since would have been enough to make dogs awfully sick. Yet they did not even have the slightest effect on her. She has stolen some ridiculous foods, too. But that’s a story for another day.
Based on our experience on that Halloween ten years ago, I would say we made a good call on our choice of costume, because our devil dog acted like a real devil dog that night.
And to this day, every Halloween, Cocoa tries to eat our pumpkins while we carve them.
Sometimes, when our backs are turned, she succeeds.