A Little Place Called Home | Teen Ink

A Little Place Called Home

June 30, 2014
By LauraBeth BRONZE, Russell Springs, Kentucky
LauraBeth BRONZE, Russell Springs, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The word, "home," has a different meaning to everyone, it could be where they were born, where they live now, or both. However to me, home is where the green grass grows, where everyone knows the words to "Amazing Grace," where the tea is sweeter and trucks are louder. Some people may consider the place I call home to be in the "backwoods," but these "backwoods" have made me the person I am today.

Living in what most people refer to as the "backwoods," I have grown up a lot differently than others who live in larger towns and cities. I grew up skipping rocks in shallow ponds, I would willingly get dirt under my nails, and I always loved catching beautiful, bright fireflies in Mason jars, which always seemed to serve as a nightlight for the many nights we stayed outside well past midnight.

I grew up going down dirt roads, where you would only see a stoplight or restaurant once every ten or so miles. For a while, there were no street signs or road maps. You had to go by memory and most of the time you could easily get lost. Usually when you wanted to go to someone's house, the directions would probably be something along the lines of, "Look for the old maple tree with a tire swing on it, next to Barry's pond."

I'm proud to call the place I grew up home, I wouldn't change one single memory or experience for anything. The memories I have embraced and welcomed with a smile, are what made up my childhood, and made me the person I am today. However, looking back, I wish I could change one thing. I wish I could go back and catch fireflies more than I did, because now I'm growing up. When I was younger all anyone would say was, "Don't wish away your childhood. You'll miss it," and they were right, because I already do.

Small towns seem to be good for one specific thing in particular, rumors. In the place I grew up, everyone knew everyone, so it was just a matter of minutes before something was up and and spreading like wildfire. If someone gets engaged the whole town is there to celebrate, just like if someone commits a crime or a sin, the whole town looks down on that person along with their family.

It seemed as if the beginning of my teenage years were especially complicated, for the first time in my life things seemed so different and the town I grew up in was changing, along with the people in it. I started middle school just like every other kid my age. I wouldn't go back to those times, for sure. Just the same as everywhere else, most teacher's had favorites, cafeteria food was awful, people you grew up with were caught in between a child and an adult, and everyone's favorite hobby began to develop into spreading rumors about others.

In any small town, religion is a major deal. Where I grew up, if you weren't in church by a specific time on Sunday mornings, you would be looked down upon by neighbors, friends, and even family. I have to say, I am glad it was that way, because it helped to shape me into the person I am today. Without explaining that life required you to have faith, to maintain your beliefts, honesty and good morals, I wouldn't be where I am today.

First crushes are usually good enough, so most people stay with their high school sweethearts. Where I'm from, you can easily find a couple and they have been together fifty years or more. In most places, it's rare to find a couple that has been together five and hasn't gotten a divorce. One of the things I love the most is the fact that the place I call home is so different from others in many ways, especially this one. I find that every love story is different than others. You can't make up stories that are told here. It's a very heart-felt experience listening to a couples' story that have been together for a very long time, it helps to remind you that with a little faith, commitment and trust, anything is possible.

Derbies, mudding, and football are three of the main hobbies that are taken very seriously. Derbies are practically considered a holiday where I'm from. Everyone gets "decked out" in derby gear, such as shirts that say who they are "rooting" for and people go as far as putting the derby car numbers on their faces. People have also learned to bring an umbrella with them because the mud literally flies- everywhere.

Every Thanksgiving, no matter what, we always watch Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and football, just like the majority of other Americans. But where I'm from we take it very seriously. We're the type that screams at the television to cheer on our favorite team. Not to mention, we refer to the football as a "pig skin," and even most of us girls learn to play it.

Some of our main events are actually barbeques. It may sound simple. However, it is something everyone is always excited for. Everyone usually brings a side dish or two, and leaves with a few tan lines. Where I am from, everyone tailgates and stays up until the sun comes up the next morning.

There is nothing we love more than barbequed chicken and ribs with potato salad and corn on the cob. Even when we just put hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill, everyone is still happy. There is nothing better than the taste of barbeque.

Sweet tea, apple pie and fishing trips are a few of the things that represent home to me. Sweet tea and lemonade are musts for any picnic, dinner, or outing, where I'm from. The old saying, "You're not American unless you love apple pie," still remains true around here. It is especially good with powdered sugar sprinkled over the top while it is fresh from the oven. Then, the fishing trips, those times were some of the most priceless memories I have. I wouldn't trade those for anything. I hope to take those memories with me, everywhere I go, and wherever life takes me.