Skype Call | Teen Ink

Skype Call

By Omar Stratton SILVER, Wentzville, Missouri
Omar Stratton SILVER, Wentzville, Missouri

My laptop screen went dark, greeted with a familiar tone, and her picture popped up. It’s an old picture. Her hair was it’s natural black color back then, and she styled it the only way she knew how at the time: messy. It sat on top of her head straying in all directions, held together poorly by a bun. Her eyes both squinted as if she was looking for something far off in the distance. She also had her signature smile that I’ve grown to love. It was her smile own smile, truly unique to her. No one else’s could compare. Her thick lips parted revealing her upper row of teeth, covered by braces with a pinkish tint to them. At both ends of the rainbow were her dimples, which were literally a pot of gold.

I clicked on the big, green phone icon and a few seconds later she popped into my vision wearing the warmest smile, still covered with braces. Instantly I smiled back at her without saying a word, as I always had. Just taking in her amazing beauty. She had cut her hair much shorter now. It parted to the left and she let it hang right before her eye.

“Heyyyyyy!” she said, finally breaking the silence.

Her voice was gentle, yet resounding, and when she spoke she squinted her eyes and brushed her hair out the way. While we were talking I noticed every time she laughed she covered her mouth with her palm, trying her best to hide her braces. She knew if I could see her braces I would make some type of remark about them, which she hated. No matter what compliment I would give her she would dismiss it and try her best to cover up whatever I complimented. It’s always a struggle talking to her because of this. Complimenting her was second nature.
We talked about a huge range of topics for hours on end until it was time for her to go.

“What are you waiting for? Hang up,” she challenged me knowing that I couldn’t bring myself to do it. It was our routine or excuse to talk for a few extra minutes.

“No. You know I don’t like hanging up. You do it,” I said smiling.

“No! I did last time, it’s your turn to hang up now.”

We started to argue about something so petty, and I began to realize this was so routine of us. Our disagreements brought us together and over the entire time we talked, we argued playfully. She’s my best friend and the love of my life.