A Letter to My Newborn | Teen Ink

A Letter to My Newborn

By MissAdele PLATINUM, Tacoma, Washington
MissAdele PLATINUM, Tacoma, Washington

Hi baby,

I know we've never met, but I have so much that I want to tell you.

The world that you'll grow up in will be much different than mine. Sure, I grew up around color TV's and cell phones, but that's because my parents did a lot, to make sure that I had a lot. And I hope that I'll always try my hardest for you, so you can have even more than I had (because I won't lie, sometimes what I had sucked-no offense mom and dad). Of course, that doesn't mean I'm perfect. I'm no wonder woman, I'm not superhuman, and sometimes I can't even spell right. I won't always remember what being a teenager felt like and I won't always understand what you're going through because the truth is, sometimes I don't even understand what I'm going through. The one thing I know for sure, is that I will never know anything for sure-and that's perfectly fine with me.

Anyway, aside from never knowing anything for sure, I can almost 100% certainly say that I love you. And I want you to know that I'll always love you (yes, even if you're a terrorist (please don't be a terrorist)). You might not know it, but I've always wanted to be your mother, so loving you comes to me as naturally as breathing. But loving you before I have you, and loving you after I have you are completely different matters. Sometimes you'll do things, and I'll want to yell, and tear my hair out, and punch a wall. Well, first of all don't let me punch a wall, that's dumb. And second of all, none of those things will make me love you any less, they'll only make me look stupid.

The point is, you're important to me. And maybe you'll think that's really lame of me to say, but if you're important to me, then you must be important to somebody else too. Don't forget to love yourself, and don't forget to push yourself because the sky is the limit and you're always, always worth it. But also don't forget that there's a point at which everyone breaks, and you have to know when to stop pushing. You're not perfect, and neither am I. But if I can (almost) know anything at all, it's that you're smart, and you've got so much potential that you can move mountains.

Go move mountains, kid.

Love, your to-be mom