Writing Course Reflection | Teen Ink

Writing Course Reflection

December 11, 2013
By Jacquelyn Bernico SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Jacquelyn Bernico SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Confident, eager, and open minded. These feelings flooded my mind as Ms. Jorgensen introduced the curriculum on the first day of class. Enrolling in a writing course, especially one that provided guidance for important pieces like college essays, was an easy decision. The thought of a class where the only assignments were to write papers drew me in. No quizzes, no tests. No problem. That was until we received our first assignment.

My ignorance mislead me. When my procrastination brought me to the night before our first paper was due, only then did it occur to me how difficult it was to write well. Staring at me was a blank Word document. My attempts to formulate phrases and sentences repeatedly failed. Never before had writing seemed this difficult. Finally…the words started to come and shortly thereafter my paper was written.

Reflecting back on the course thus far, my style of writing continues to change noticeably. My mind set in the beginning of the year was that quantity and quality were directly related. Therefore, adding extra adjectives and dead words made my paper intriguing. During our first workshop, the purple pen marks covering my paper disagreed with my logic. Scribbled comments and suggestions forced me to incorporate new ways to keep my audience’s attention. This is where stylistic devices saved my writing…and my grade.

Drawing the reader in and captivating their interest. Stylistic devices allow me to add a certain flare to my writing. They can drag a sentence out for dramatic effect using ellipsis, or use italics to allow readers to know my thoughts. The noticeable effects these devices have surfaced in our workshops.

Reading a piece aloud and observing the impact it has on my peers provides me with instant feedback. The smiles that dance across faces and pens that scribe inaudible comments reassure the quality of my work. After my piece is read, suggestions flow from those around me. They show me unnecessary words or phrases as well as possible ways for improvement. Gradually, these suggestions trickle their way into my work leaving it better than before. Proofreading other people’s work poses as another helpful aspect in becoming a better writer. This not only happens during workshops, but online through moodle as well.

Whether it’s looking for an example or editing someone’s assignment, moodle creates an opportunity for further learning. When struggling with the infamous writer’s block, it is helpful to have somewhere to look for inspiration. Thoughts and clever ideas from other’s work can provoke those of our own. Simple, convenient, and accessible, moodle serves as a valuable resource.

When it comes to writing, there is no such thing as perfection. Attempting to be perfect will lead to disappointment. Editing is the closest a writer will get to perfection. For what may seem perfect in his or her eyes, may appear flawed in the eyes of another. Advanced Composition has shown me the rewards of patience and humbled me with my ignorance. Above all, this course has taught me how difficult writing can be, and how rewarding it becomes.