Life Through the Eyes of a Toddler | Teen Ink

Life Through the Eyes of a Toddler

By Sully2013 BRONZE, Orangeburg, South Carolina
Sully2013 BRONZE, Orangeburg, South Carolina

Someone we called Mama had to go to work tonight. She would not be back until late, so I had to stay the night in another crib. There was a marshmallow that lay on four doughnuts. I pushed my way in. The doughnuts began moving and I stared out the hard block of ice. Just as my eyes were lowering, we arrived at a place full of Incredible Hulks. Bam! They were pushing and jumping on one another. Where was I?

Giants stood all around me, laughing in my face and poking my stomach. Each of them called my name, stretching out their hairy arms to me. I stared blankly at them, turned the other cheek, and searched my surroundings. Somehow, I was moving forward, but my legs were not touching the ground. I rode on the side of a monster until we arrived at a huge, silver chair that a bunch of oversized babies were sitting on. They kept hitting their hands together and it made this weird sound. At that moment, I saw two-legged animals running back and forth. One of them was holding a brown toy under his arm. I figured that he did not want anyone to steal his toy, so he avoided them as they chased him. A guy my color, with white elbows and legs, jumped in the air and yelled at the boys. My face twisted up as I tried to understand how he could be two colors at once. Somehow, the beasts I came with thought my face was rude and impolite. They put me on the ground. I began to run back and forth like the penguins.

Why will not it move? This sideways ladder lay in front of me. No matter how hard I tried, I could not push it down. Shaking it did not cause it to tumble down, either! Only one thing left to do: climb. My journey began. My right foot placed itself into one of the tiny squares, and my left leg followed. Whew! It was so enormous and I could not go any further. I made my way back down and fell out on the ground from exhaustion. A thousand eyes watched me, showed their teeth, opened their mouth wide, and delivered this awful noise. I lay there and began to repeat their uproar. The more I did, the louder they projected. I found it very amusing.

The lump attached to me was beginning to growl. The whale clasping me must have understood its language because she fetched for my fruit cup. She opened it and tried to feed me with a white dipper. It was too big for my mouth; therefore I used my hands to dig out my food. A toddler we called Grandma extracted my bag of Cheese Puffs from her suitcase. As I was biting down on the orange critters, I missed one and jabbed my tongue in between my teeth. Boy, did that hurt! I wailed until one of those creatures noticed I was in pain. Eventually, she gave me my Sippy cup. The coolness cooled me down. My hands were painted orange. Grandma reached for a dainty, petite blanket to clean my fingers. Before she knew it, I already wiped my paws on the back of a brute’s shirt. Her eyes darted at me with anger. I ducked my head under the chair to hide from her, but she found me! I went in and out of hiding. Somehow, she kept finding me, so I escaped by running away. Green beans were standing out of the ground. I snatched them up and attempted to eat them. Unfortunately, a bigger baby jerked my mouth and squeezed it hard until the food oozed back out. Since, I could not eat the beans, I sat down and played with them and the brown mashed potatoes.

I strived to roll over on my head. My head united with the ground, and I tried to flip my legs back. They were just too runty! After several stabs at it, I finally achieved my goal. I hopped up and made that noise the monsters made. Then, one of the two-legged animals ran by me and hit me in my head. My feet followed him and my hands hit my head to inform him of what he had done. He ignored me and kept running.

My adventure ended. The last task I tried to complete was difficult. In a pink box were colorful sticks. The giant beside me took one of them and washed the paper with it. The color was falling off, so to rescue them, I snatched the one in her hand and bolted. It was then that I realized I left all of the other infant sticks behind. I darted back and forth to save them all. After all of my hard work, she robbed me of them. Bummer! Grandma caught me and made me sit down. She would not let me go. I had to think of an escape route. I know: the baby I wiped my hands on. I grunted at her and she looked back. My plan was working. I reached for her; she took me. Finally, I cried until she let me down, and I was free! Everyone was looking at me. What did I do now?

The day changed colors. Time to go home. Grandma and I said goodbye to one of the animals that came from the other side of the ladder. He had on a full space suit. A crowd of giants flooded to their marshmallows; we got in ours. I was strapped into my special seat and the doughnuts rolled. Soon, we were back at Gran’s house. She tucked me in my crib and her lips touched my face. That is what put me to sleep. Zzzzz. What a long day at work.