My Dad | Teen Ink

My Dad

By ShawnGarrett97 BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
ShawnGarrett97 BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois

In life it’s important that you have someone that you look up to or view as “heroic.” Whoever you have in your life that is a genuine person and always does right is usually someone to look up to. In my case, I look up to my dad because he is such a strong human being and is an extremely hard worker, but like all parents, he has weaknesses that make him negative in my eyes. He may not be doing bad, but in my eyes he is, because his tone just sounds negative. For example, he is strict on me when about grades and if I get a C, then he gets mad, but I do know that it is for the best of me.

My dad is a hard worker and does whatever to help us out. He works a full time job and gets paid good money, and he still manages to make time to spend with me and his girlfriend. Whenever I come home he is working and on conference calls, which makes him stressed, but is something that is essential and needed to be done. He even takes time out of his weekends to finish work. One of my dad’s biggest strengths is how unselfish he is. He never puts himself before me or his girlfriend. For example when we make dinner and he always says, “don’t worry about me. Eat what you want and I’ll have leftovers or whatever is in the refrigerator.” He always does whatever he can for me, which is nice, but I wish he would do more for himself like buy new shoes for himself or new clothes. I sometimes feel guilty that he does so much for me and nothing for himself, but I am also extremely grateful for what I have. By him being so unselfish and hard-working, I can learn from him and be the same when I grow up and have a family of my own.

Just like any other responsible parent, my dad is strict about good behavior, reputation, and grades. He is a successful man and was raised by his dad, who was also a strict parent. He is only following what he was taught. He expects straight A’s and B’s and nothing less. Whenever I go places, , he wants me to act respectful and polite. He doesn’t want parents and people to look at me as the trouble maker. If I do act out of hand, then I usually get grounded It is just my dad’s way of being a parent and I have to respect that.

In conclusion, I love my dad and I look up to him as a hero because of the way he is put together and how strong he is mentally. When I grow up, I want to be as successful as he his, but I also want to be a laid back parent, and not so stressed.

It is about why i look up to my dad