Boothwyn | Teen Ink

Boothwyn

March 7, 2012
By bearsftw GOLD, Elmhurst, Illinois
bearsftw GOLD, Elmhurst, Illinois
13 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Creativity is the highest form of mental functioning." - E. Paul Torrance


“Who wants to go to Boothwyn?” asks my Pop Pop, my maternal grandfather, eagerly.
“We do!” all of us excited grandchildren enthusiastically reply. Quickly we pile into his new Honda Accord and drive to this huge farmer’s market in Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania, about fifteen minutes away. My mom’s family has been shopping at Boothwyn for three generations for a variety of groceries, knick-knacks, and other odds and ends. Now, Pop Pop brings my brother, my cousins, and me there to search for our own precious treasures.
As soon as I enter the marketplace, I smell the delicious aroma of apple and cherry pastries and pies, floating fresh out of the oven. Around the corner to my right, I see several concessions including Auntie Annie’s where I can just taste a salty, warm pretzel and a fruity, cold smoothie on my tongue. Walking down the crowded hall, I spot a coin shop. My fingers sift through the circular pieces of metal as I attempt to find the oldest one in the box. Next door, hundreds of Beanie Babies in all colors of the rainbow and from miniature to humongous cordially greet me. The next few outlets display colorful socks and old, heavy boots waiting to be tried on customers’ feet. Then to my left, I spy a popular shop selling the most adorable items ever: puppies! Their puny size and multi-colored fur make me want to caress them like baby dolls. Following that shop on the left is a NFL jersey store where I can just picture my favorite team, the Chicago Bears, scoring a winning touch down. Moving down the hall on the left, I gawk at some tasty snacks and a candy joint where I imagine pouring four different flavors of Jolly Ranchers into my awaiting mouth. Lastly, I pass by a mini grocery store on my left with a variety of juicy fruits and crunchy veggies displayed like artifacts in a museum.

Boothwyn has something for everyone, from food and football cards to fragile dolls and fluffy dogs. It’s a place to have fun while hanging out with my cousins, who I don’t see very often and where Pop Pop enjoys escorting his grandchildren. Taking us to Boothwyn is his way of saying “I love you” and keeping us entertained for a while. Someday, I hope to accompany my kids there so they can share the same sweet memories.