Golden Glitter and Football | Teen Ink

Golden Glitter and Football

By Michelle.D SILVER, Hemet, California
Michelle.D SILVER, Hemet, California

“You can never solve a problem with the same kind of thinking that created the problem in the first place.”
-Albert Einstein

The shouts and cheers of the roaring crowd ringing in my ears. The chilly air tickling at the back of my neck. Everyone so close you sit side by side, thigh by thigh. The crowd going wild but the one place that wild can’t describe is the spirit section. The endless ocean of gold, red and white floods the area. Their screams fueling the team as they play a hard game. It’s this area that claims the attention of everyone as the biggest supporters watch the game intently, leaning forward in their seats. The gold glitter floating around all the girls decked out in bulldog shirts with big bows covered in puffy painted paw prints. The boys all in sports t-shirts whooping at every word the announcers booming voice says. A sea of lettermen jackets were like sardines packed closely together. This was the place to sit, to be, surrounded by the killer energy and explosive spirit. The announcers voice coming from the sky, telling everyone the good and bad news like thunder pouring from the speakers. The football players fueled the spirit of the crowd and the spirit fueled the game. On and on this energy flowed from crowd to the players, from the players to the crowd. It was overwhelming to see the group, so intimidating that it seemed safer to avoid the area and watch from a safe distance. Though it was frightening it was to alluring to resist. So closely packed together that their heat radiated up and the cold seemed like it was unable to touch the exclusive ring of the group. They seemed untouchable, they were the seniors that you wanted to be, they were the ones you always saw, and they were the group you wanted to belong to. The only thought running through your head is “Just a couple more years.” This was the team, the group, the clique that everyone knew and that everyone hopes to be one day, seniors. It was so alluring to be one of them to see what they see and feel what they feel, power. When you go to the game and wander looking for your friends, your group, and your seat what do you wonder? How do you resist the golden glitter and football? The answer, you never really do.

At my school football games are a huge event for friends and fans. There are special sections for the "very spirited" people, but its mostly occupied by the seniors and and that is my inspiration. I hope you enjoy!

Michelle.D SILVER, Hemet, California

-Albert Einstein

Hahaha Thanks girl! I love u! haha

kaitlin96 SILVER, Hemet, California

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.”
-Benjamin Franklin

Love it!! Even though I've read it many times before. hahahahha