A Girl's Guide to Girls | Teen Ink

A Girl's Guide to Girls

August 6, 2011
By Bookworm1998 GOLD, Brampton, Other
Bookworm1998 GOLD, Brampton, Other
17 articles 2 photos 118 comments

Favorite Quote:
Preserve your memories, keep them well; what you forget, you can never retell.


You see it on the TV, and shrug it off because you think you won’t meet somebody like that.
You read it in the books, roll your eyes, and wonder why the main character cares so much.
You see it in the halls, right in front of you, but you turn around and go back to laughing with your friends because you know it won’t happen to you.
Or so you think.
To be blatant and honest, some girls are backstabbers.
The girl that you’re laughing with and making plans with could most definitely be the one that will turn around and start talking about you with others. Sometimes it’s so hard to tell which ones you can trust, and which ones to let go.
And when her true colours start to shine through with how she treats others unfortunate enough to be on her bad side, you stay her buddy because it’s not you she’s being the jerk to. It’s not you that ticked her off, and it’s not you that isn’t good enough to be her friend.
You hear things about this unlucky girl that your friend plots against mercilessly. They can’t be true, but still you laugh, and you still listen. You think, ‘so glad that’s not me.’
But soon enough it is you.
One slip up and suddenly you are a traitor on the other side of the field. Suddenly, you hear things from people you don’t even talk to saying things about you, all leading back to her never-closing mouth. You wonder how, how, how, did this happen. How, how, how, did I not see this all along. You wonder why, why, why, you didn’t listen to your conscience that had been buried under the invites to the fun get-togethers, parties, and hangouts on the weekend. You wonder how, how, how, can you ever trust friends. How, how, how, can you make sure this doesn’t happen again?
There’s just one thing you need to remember, girls. One thing that can help you get through middle school and high school and the girls that want to ruin the experience for you and have fun doing it.
True friends.
You need to find those true friends; you need to keep your eyes open. You can’t shrug it off or turn away, because the gossip will just bite you in the butt later. With true friends, you can be happy and you won’t have to worry about seeming perfect because they are the ones that will overlook your imperfections and still love you. You can still feel as good with those girls as you did with the other girl that pushed you away because of your mistake – even better, in fact!
Because once you do, you’ll realize, like those girls in the books, and the TV shows, and in the movies, that you can’t change that one big shot popular girl. She won’t magically transform into the good person you really are and try to earn back the trust from victims. You don’t have your whole life to wait for her realization or karma to catch up.
Move forward with those friends and keep an eye for THAT girl again. If you want to watch out for the kind again, you really will see her personality bright and clear as day. It’s up to you to make the choice. You’ve made the mistake, you realized your mistake, you’ve found the solution, and you move on.
‘Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We only have today. Let us begin.’ Mother Teresa.
Follow the quote.
Follow the guide.
Follow your heart.


The author's comments:
I've dealt with this kind of girl twice already, and i hope it won't happen again. Now, after two and a half years, I know who my truest friends are and I can count on the through thick and thin.