How It Feels To Lose Someone You're Close To (For Girls) | Teen Ink

How It Feels To Lose Someone You're Close To (For Girls)

By ShannonVictoria BRONZE, Dutch Haror, Alaska
ShannonVictoria BRONZE, Dutch Haror, Alaska

"Love takes time. Don't keep asking random people to go out with you. If you wait, God will send the right person to you. But if you don't, then you may never find the one you're destend to be with." -Shannon McConnell

Living in small little towns, you get very close to people you meet, things you experience, and activities you get involved in. For me, I’ve lived in that situation all my life because I live in a place where I meet new people every day and join new activities every year. I’ve met many new people and said good-bye to many good friends. And I always ask myself, why do we have to make new best friends just to watch them disappear?

Throughout life, you meet new friends and people that you begin to grow very close to throughout the whole time you have known them. There are adults you grow close to, and there were kids you grow close to. For me, I make friends with not only people of my age and grade, but I make friends with adults and little kids. And if there is one thing you probably hate the most is watching one of your friends leave. To me, it seems like new friends only come to leave again. To break hearts of loved ones and to make friends just to watch them cry when you leave. Now, to me there are different feelings for different kinds of people. There are the people who you are just friends with and you could be with, and then there are best friends who you’ve grown very close to and you just won’t be able to forget about them.

For the people you just know as friends, if they leave, it’s a feeling where you will miss them, but without them, you won’t feel very different. People usually don’t become best friends with everyone they meet. Most people you meet just become friends, and not people who can really relate to you or grow close to you forever and ever. So when they leave, you feel sad inside but not like you won’t be able to talk to anyone. You will miss that person, but not so much that you feel sick and side and that you can hardly breathe.

Now for people you consider “best friends,” that’s a whole other story. When you meet someone that you can really connect well with and someone who is just always on your side, when you hear that they are leaving, you feel this absolute damaged feeling inside. When they’re gone, you feel like you can hardly breathe. Tears burst out at the most random times and you feel like you can’t stop crying and/or being depressed. Life feels like it’s going to explode and that the world will end. But does it? No, it just feels that way. And you often think that you will never see the so called, “best friend” ever again. For a lot of people, that’s true. You may never see them again or you may not see them for what seems like forever. It’s hard to really adjust to the fact that your best friend has just gone and left. It seems like they weren’t even here for that long, but they’ve been here for at least two or three years. Just the thought of hearing that your best friend is leaving hurts a lot inside, and you probably won’t be able to bare the fact that they are leaving or that they are gone.

When you hear that a friend is leaving, you often think the worst in things. But honestly, from the time that you hear that your best friend is moving, depression starts happening until they are actually gone. The closer the day comes, the harder the depression hits. They try to hang out with each other every day before they leave, and they try to forget that the person is leaving. But does it work? Sometimes, but somehow and some way, it always comes out and even at their sleepovers or hangouts, there is a moment of depressed feelings. So that feeling of depression stays in your head, sometimes where you can’t see it, but no matter what, it’s always there until you slowly start to stop thinking about that person. But as soon as you watch the so called “Best friend” leave, then tears burst out of your eyes like a water pipe bursting. You can’t seem to stop yourself from crying, and you just wish you had more time to hang out or be with the “best friend” before they left. You want them to pretty much just jump off the plane or boat and make them stay. But will that happen? Sadly for you, it won’t. When they leave, they’re gone. And all you want to do is be left alone in a dark place where you can just stay silent and forget about the world and life.

I’ve had my fair share of friends leave me. When I met them, it was like my world had changed. I finally met someone that I could grow close to and someone I would never be able to forget. Her name was Marie. Marie and I did everything together. We had sleepovers pretty much every night, and I always went to her house after school. We had so many memories together, it was unbelievable. Marie and I did some many things that made us and others laugh for a long period of time. Examples being like calling Taxis and telling them to come get us somewhere far away, or running around town picking up random friends and just go hang out all day during the summers. Marie and I had some pretty fun adventures together and they are adventures that I can’t ever forget. And the worst time I had with her was the day she left. She was moving to California towards the end of the summer. A couple other friends and I went to the dock to go see her leave. When we got there, we couldn’t find her. So we thought she had already boarded and we weren’t able to say goodbye to her. But luckily we found her at the top of the boat, and we watched her as she rushed down the stairs to come give us a hug and say goodbye. Of course, my friends and I were all crying as we waited for her. But as she rushed down the steps, she was crying really hard. I was the first one that she had hugged when she came down. When she grabbed me, I just couldn’t let go. She was the one that I looked up to when I didn’t know what to do. She was the one who always included me in everything she did. And she was the only one that I thought as my number one best friend. So when she had to board and leave, I fell to the floor and cried my heart out until my dad came to pick me up.

Once I had gotten to my house, I ran up to my room and told everyone not to bother me. I had every light off and turned off my cell phone so none of my friends would bother me, and I sat on the floor silently just listening to my tears hit the wood flooring. For the rest of that day, I wasn’t bothered by anyone, and all I could think of was how much I was going to miss my “best friend.”

When you meet someone new, you don’t want them to leave. You want them to stay with you forever and you want to make memories, and have new adventures with them. But is it true that everyone always stays forever? Sadly no. To me and a lot of other people, it seems like when you meet someone new, you become friends, you end up being best friends, and before you know it, they are gone. You might have heard a saying close to “Even though you can’t see your best friend next to you, you can always feel them in your heart.” That is true, but that isn’t enough for you. You need them next to your side. But when you hear that they are leaving, you feel absolutely hurt inside, and you just don’t know what to do. You feel broken, you can hardly breathe, and you feel like your world has just ended completely. That’s how it feels to lose someone you’re close to, at least for girls anyways.

I wrote this article because I've made lots of friends in my past and I know I will in the future, and everytime someone makes a friend, they always end up losing them somehow. So I wanted to write how usually I feel when i lose a friend, and let it relate to other girls when they lose a friend.