Think About It: The Media's Idea of Perfection | Teen Ink

Think About It: The Media's Idea of Perfection

By ikinz101 GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
ikinz101 GOLD, Chicago, Illinois

Think about this for a few seconds. Yeah, we see all different shapes, sizes, and ethnicities in the media and on TV, but look at this. When you see, say, an obese man on a TV show, he's usually the funny character, right? Or how about a girl with the glasses, bad braces, and funny voice, she's usually the nerd on the show, right?

Most people think that you have to be skinny, tall, and blonde in order to be beautiful and famous. Others think that it doesn't matter, which it doesn't. Then there are those who will argue against this, saying that they include every shape, size, and ethnicity in their media. But seriously, how many of those people have a legitamite role where they're not the funny guy or the nerd?

I'd really like to live in a world where nothing matters. Girls my age, including myself, constantly look at themselves and think they're not good enough. We think we're ugly. We think we're fat. We make up things that are sooo untrue. What happened to beauty coming from the inside?

Try this. Look in the mirror at yourself and tell yourself the things you like about yourself. Then do the oppisite, tell yourself all your flaws. I bet your flaw list is way longer, isn't it? And if it's not, then good for you!

We teenagers need to realize that there is no such thing as perfect. I'd like to kick the guy who even invented such a word. No one is perfect. We see people we think are perfect, but seriously, they're just like us with the addition of a few plastic surgeries and technological touch-ups.

Everything about the media is fake. Look through a magazine like Seventeen or People and look at the ads. Most models are either nude or almost naked and wearing tons of make-up. The ad usually says something along the lines of, "Use this product and you'll look gorgeous." It's a freakin' money maker! That's all they want to do! Well, they also want us to believe that we aren't good enough.

Don't let the media and others influence you. Be yourself. Let's try to restore the true meaning of beauty in the world. What will you do?

Here's a video I found on Youtube. It shows you how far people will go with this idea of perfection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vFvLhNWfZU