Anywhere But Here | Teen Ink

Anywhere But Here

October 17, 2009
By TurtleWriter27 SILVER, Springfield, Pennsylvania
TurtleWriter27 SILVER, Springfield, Pennsylvania
5 articles 1 photo 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A little talent is a good thing to have if you want to be a writer. But the only real requirement is the ability to remember every scar."
— Stephen King


Anywhere but here. Oh, God, please, anywhere but here.
My mother sat behind me, braiding my hair. The tile was cold, causing goose bumps for form against my arms. The cotton gown felt itchy against my skin.
The waiting room was filled with kids. Screaming, whining, bratty little kids. I shouldn’t be so harsh. They, just like me, needed to blow off some steam before the big moment.
My legs shook as the nurse led me back to a bed. Everything smelled gross. Like plastic mixed with vomit. There so much medical equipment. Everywhere you looked there were needles, IVs, and other terrifying looking instruments of torture.
A nurse handed me a small cup filled with red liquid. Instinctively, I chugged it in one sip. ACK! I gagged. I imagine the plastic/vomit smell must have come from these meds I nearly threw up.
The pillows are scratchy too. And the blankets. They wheel me into the operating room, the wheels of the bed screech down the hallway. They place yet another smelly thing near my face, but this time, it’s a plastic oxygen mask. They place it on my face, and I slowly drift to sleep.


The author's comments:
This is a very short, and very true story.