Nicknames | Teen Ink

Nicknames

With a last name with nine letters, Vogeltanz, my parents knew that having a short first name was what they wanted but, deciding on the name was hard. My dad wanted me to be Kara, but my mom opposed that idea because her sister's name is Kari and her cousin’s name is Tara. However, here I am—Kara. 

With a short first name, nicknames are not something that my parents ever really worried about. Honestly I'm glad, I have nicknames but I am very picky about who can call me them. 

Steve, who I have known my whole life and is basically an uncle to me, always calls me Kara Marie. That is my first and middle name. Most of the time when people talk about their middle name they say that it was only said when they were in trouble. That is not the case for me. Kara Marie is special just between Steve and me. No one else is allowed to call me that. This is because it is special to just him. When other people call me Kara Marie it feels like they are overstepping. To understand the relationship that Steve and I have you would need to have been around for a long time. I will leave it as if I ever needed anything I knew that he would be there. 

Similarly my grandpa has nicknames for both my brother and me. Kyle, my brother, is “Buck” and I am “Girly.” There was one time after visiting my grandpa for the weekend, my mom tried to call me Girly, and I don't think I have put a stop to something so fast in my life. I remember the way I told her came off as mean and rude. But at the moment I didn't care. 

I found out then and there that only certain people can call me names other than Kara. 

I have other nicknames too, from other people who are involved and important in my life. One of my parents' friends calls me Sparky. He always has. I am not sure where it can come from but that's just how it is. 

K. A. R. A short enough to go with my long last name and powerful enough for me to love and cherish the name I was given.