Managing Stress and Schoolwork: Tips for Teenagers | Teen Ink

Managing Stress and Schoolwork: Tips for Teenagers

August 14, 2023
By Anvi2010 BRONZE, Hisar, Other
Anvi2010 BRONZE, Hisar, Other
2 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Introduction: -

Imagine being scolded in your teenage years for not doing your schoolwork and teachers ask you- did you forget to eat your food? Then why you forgot to do your homework? It is the favorite dialogue of teachers I have ever heard. 

Yes, as teenagers, we have got a lot on our plate, and it is hard to handle it. We want to participate in extra co-curricular activities, give time to our friends and family, manage social media, and do homework too. I know it is very tiring, I have gone through that, and I am still struggling with it.

I got scolded by a teacher for not completing my work. The subject was social science and to be honest I don't like it at all. So, there was a powerpoint presentation competition held in my school and I was already late on submitting it to that particular teacher. When there was social science class, I got scolded. It was not the first time that I had been scolded for it.

Tips for teenagers to manage their stress and schoolwork: -

1. Prioritize and Plan:

Creating a well-structured plan can significantly reduce stress. Use tools like planners or digital apps to organize assignments, projects, and deadlines. Prioritize tasks based on urgency and importance, and break down larger projects into smaller, manageable steps.

2. Time Management: Time management is key to preventing stress overload. Allocate specific time blocks for studying, completing assignments, and taking breaks.

3. Maintain a Healthy Routine: A balanced routine that includes sufficient sleep, regular physical activity, and a nutritious diet is vital for managing stress.

4. Avoid Procrastination: Procrastination often leads to unnecessary stress as deadlines approach. Combat this habit by using techniques like the "Two-Minute Rule" – if a task takes less than two minutes, do it immediately. Otherwise, commit to starting a task for just a few minutes, which often leads to continued work.

5. Practice Self-Compassion: Be kind to yourself. Understand that perfection is not attainable, and everyone makes mistakes. Avoid negative self-talk and practice self-compassion. Treat yourself with the same understanding and support that you would offer a friend facing similar challenges.


The author's comments:

Hope you find this helpful. I know this doesn't include everything, but I am following these steps. Thank you!