The Sights and Sounds of Mother Earth | Teen Ink

The Sights and Sounds of Mother Earth

By k1ttybabi BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
k1ttybabi BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

The distinct smell of the sodden earth masks any other scent. Water was still swarming the streets. Cars were soaking the grass with each pass. I stepped through the moist grass. The excessive water went through my shoes and drenched my socks. My feet were as cold as icicles. The mellow sun began setting. What little rays were left, glistened the water droplets on the leaves. I eagerly watched the droplets race as if they were in Nascar. “Here goes number two taking the lead. Oh no, it seems like number three is catching up. Number one begins making a run for it. And the winner is…” Sounds of honking and sirens disrupted my thoughts and gaze. Cars were breaking and squealing like a rat seeking food. I looked up to see that night was befalling. Radiant moonlight began flooding the streets. Gazing wistfully upon the stars, Venus is not much farther than the moon. I wondered what that bright little speck would look like up close. I began pointing out the visible constellations. Gemini, Orion, Auriga, and Canis major could easily be spotted. Something charmed my eye, a blooming flower. What little moonlight that seeped past the lampposts, twinkled on its bright rose petals. Cars began disappearing, one by one until all that was heard were trees whispering in the wind. The wind swished and swooshed the limbs. Crying as leaves were falling. There was a sudden drop in temperature. My breath was as clear as day. The cold wind made my skin as pale as the moonlight. My nose and cheeks matched the rosy flower I discovered earlier. The wind was causing my hair to blow all over the place. I must've appeared to be a banshee with the wind howling abutting me. My hands were going numb. I came out in nothing but a sweater, how foolish. Keenly watching the day end brought on weariness. Struggling to keep my eyes open, I go inside. I took one last glance at the bewitching Earth. And there she was, howling and glistening.

just a 15 minute (more like 2 hours after revising and editing lol) free write of outside.