Essay Contest: Zachariah's Acres | Teen Ink

Essay Contest: Zachariah's Acres

October 3, 2022
By evasevcik SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
evasevcik SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I will never know what it is like to be looked at differently than others in our society, or predicted to be incapable due to a disability. I will never know what is it like to learn or socialize with others in a different manner than I’ve always known how, or maybe not at all. The only thing I will ever know is how to treat others with kindness, everyday, no matter what. This past weekend I organized a volunteering opportunity for our NHS club here at Arrowhead, and took other members with me to support a place I have grown very fond of within a matter of hours. Zachariah’s Acres, located in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin is a non-proft foundation where kids with special needs and their families are supported and cared for, and also taught about God and how he makes no mistakes when creating each and every one of us. 


Over the weekend, I was fortunate enough to be able to see the wonders that the volunteers and staff at Zachariah’s Acres do for those in our community who come to them for guidance, compassion, and friendship. I met so many amazing people that I would have never known otherwise. Hearing their stories was eye opening in the sense that I have lived a relatively “normal” life with few hardships or severe challenges, but being able to learn about others stories and their life challenges and successes is something I will hold near to my heart forever. 


After this experience, I can confidently say that I will be back for any future volunteering opportunities this organization holds, because the pure joy and love radiating from each and every person I met was an overwhelming sense of knowing that in just five hours, I made a difference in someone else’s life, as they all did in mine. 


The author's comments:

This is a submission for the Teens Making a Difference Contest