Essay Contest: Company. | Teen Ink

Essay Contest: Company.

September 30, 2022
By Anonymous

My grandma had just gotten a major back surgery that left her unable to walk, and stuck in the hospital for a few weeks. She was then transferred to a rehab center. I'm not sure if you have ever been in one of these places, but they are horrible. They are boring, lonely, undecorated—and the things you get for fun are cards. 


My older cousin, Emily, and I would visit as often as we could since she was in a room all alone, all day. We would show up and bring her gifts and dinners, and necessities- like clothes. Even though the presents were not necessary, we still brought them to see her smile.


“Hey Grandma, we got you this stuffed animal,” my cousin and I announced.


A green dinosaur, with a cute little hat. Our company was enough for her. She said they made her slow days go by a little faster. Even though maybe it wasn't the most exciting way to spend my days, it was worth it. 


My grandma had always been a glass half full type of person. Always in a good mood, I never saw her get angry. But this place has put a damper on her spirit. My grandma, who once used to make me smile on my bad days, was now the one I was making smile on her bad days. The tables had now turned, and I was the one influencing her days. 


She hasn't been the same since. Not being able to walk properly for six years makes it hard to interact with her nine grandchildren. My two siblings, six cousins, and I all grew up in a time period that didn't allow her to attend our sporting games, or social gatherings. And now that she is better after these surgeries, we are all grown up, have jobs, and are focused on our grades so we can get into college. 


The author's comments:

This is a submission for the Teens Making a Difference essay contest.