The Time We Decided to Come to Albania | Teen Ink

The Time We Decided to Come to Albania

June 2, 2021
By holymoly SILVER, Tirana, Other
holymoly SILVER, Tirana, Other
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

   Have you ever stayed in other countries for a long time studying? I had never gone to other countries for traveling or studying, however. 
   One day my father asked me. “Do you want to go to foreign country for 3 years?”  
   First, when I heard that, I got really surprised. 
   “I am not sure. I am going to ask TaeJoon.” I answered. 
   It was first time for me and TaeJoon to go to a foreign country, because we had not traveled before. I was wondering about his answer, because I was not sure. When he came back home after finishing his academy (a place that students go to study and to learn after school), I was surprised, because he just simply said, showing no emotions. 
   “Sure, I would like to go.” “Where will that place be?” he asked.  
   I explained to him that we are going to Albania, and I quickly showed him a map, because we had not heard of Albania before in our lives. TaeJoon was excited to know more about other countries. It looked like a good idea to him. To my surprise, he decided very quickly. I could not understand why he did not think about it. After that, we decided to do some research about the country. We wanted to know about Albanian language, culture and where the country was. From the internet, the country looked great. We could see beautiful mountains and beaches. I had never spoken with people from other countries except Koreans. I had mixed feelings, like worrying about new experience, expectations about a new world, and missing my friends, then I asked TaeJoon again: 
   “Are you serious? It will change all of your life and mine too.” 
   He said “I am serious. I am curious about living abroad and I want to get new experiences!”   
   So, we decided to go to Albania. Before we went to Albania, we met our families and friends. They would miss me, and I also would miss them. Eventually, it was time to go. It was windy and rainy that day. I thought the sky was crying that we left Korea. We could hear even thunders in the background. Flight time was delayed due to lightning. The journey took 13 hours. We arrived at night, and that was too tiring. I could see Albanian road signs, and I could not find any Korean letters. I thought I am really in Albania now. It was awesome. I looked forward to the future. We had 2 weeks before TIS school started. TaeJoon and I were surprised, because there was an incredible thing, such as a picnic day in the first and even second day of school. Such a thing cannot happen in Korea. In Korea, we go to picnic after finishing tests. So, this was a wonderful experience. I made a lot of friends that day. What a picnic that was! 
   In conclusion, TaeJoon and I worried about new experiences, but we adapted quickly. We are fine. If we go to that time again, I am not sure about coming here again but I think TaeJoon would not hesitate to take the same decision again.