The story of the street I grew up on | Teen Ink

The story of the street I grew up on

By brib BRONZE, Springfield, Ohio
brib BRONZE, Springfield, Ohio

I grew up on a street for 7 years of my life and in that time period I did a lot of exciting things and even some not so exciting things so let me tell you about this street. I was brought home to my childhood home and I was the only girl out of three boys until our neighbor had a little girl. Once she had this little girl and she got older our moms would talk and we would play in the backyard together. We had this swingset that we always used to play on it had a slide and two swings and we always used to race to the slide. But, she would always beat me. She ran like a cheetah and she was a lot faster than I was so I would always get beat unless she was tired. We spent all day on that swing set until it wasn’t able to be used anymore. 

After we got too big for the swingset we wanted to start learning how to ride a bike so we started in the grass and we didn’t spend as much time on the bikes as we did the swingset. The bikes were a big part of our life though because we learned how to ride them together and not alone. We fell sometimes but we always got back up and just laughed about it. This was definitely a big stepping stone for us because we always wanted to be like the big kids. Even though the big kids didn’t let us hang out with them we always tried to be like them but we were never gonna be like them when we were 4. I always rode much faster than her on our bikes. I felt like a bird in the wind. It was awesome.

We ended up getting bored of the bikes so we wanted to do something else just like the big kids and we noticed that they had someone stay the night. So, we decided that I was gonna spend the night over at her house for the first time. I always went inside her house but I never stayed so it was like a really big time for me and her. I was scared to ask my mom because I was only 5 so we had her mom go and ask and they both said yes and that was super exciting. We went up to her room after we ate dinner and started to watch a movie her mom brought snacks and drinks up there. We spent a lot of time together and cherished every minute we had together.

Well, then this happened, her mom ended up having another baby and my best friend became a sister to a little girl. She was scared at first because she was the only child for 5 years. We helped her mom set up her room but, we didn’t know what it was for we were so little. After a year went past it was my best friend's birthday and her mom took us to Skyzone on the way there. We colored and did a bunch of stuff and then we got there and was there for a long time. We were all exhausted so we went home and we had a sleepover even though we went to bed after we had cake. It was still a good day. 

Then, here comes the not so exciting part, we were both 7 years old and it was the summer so we were outside on her porch coloring with chalk. Her mom and my mom walked over and said they had to talk to us. So, they sat down and had to tell us that my family wasn’t going to be living there any more. We both looked at each other because neither of us knew that was gonna be the news. A week passed by and my dad came home with the U-haul to start packing up and taking it to the new house and I hadn’t seen my neighbor that day so I waited outside on my porch. I waited and waited until she and her mom walked out of their house and I got up so fast and ran over and gave her a hug. Her mom had like a present bag of some sort. My best friend handed it to me and I didn’t know what to do. Her mom told me to open it and I ripped it open like a kid opening their presents on christmas morning, when I opened it I wanted to start crying. It was a picture frame she colored with a picture of us in it. I felt bad because I didn’t get her anything but she said it was okay. I gave her and her mom the biggest hug I was very happy. This picture frame had a lot of thought put into it. Me and her are still friends to this day and we stay in touch and it’s really nice to live those memories again with her as we get older and remember more. We don’t hang out much anymore because of covid her mom doesn’t want them to get sick. So, hopefully when covid is over we can see each other more. But, now that we are older we usually go shopping and walk around the neighborhood since we are older than 7.

That’s the story of the street I grew up on.

This piece is about my childhood story of the very first street I lived on and what my bestfriend and I did together.