Accomplishment | Teen Ink

Accomplishment

February 26, 2019
By aeystad BRONZE, Park Rapids, Minnesota
aeystad BRONZE, Park Rapids, Minnesota
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I’m sitting at the BPA state awards ceremony, my legs shaking and body filled with nerves because my event will be called soon. I spent so much time practicing and perfecting my presentation, I hope it pays off. Around me, finalists make their way to the stage for a different event. On stage, they award the top three competitors who will now compete at nationals. After the applause, they make their way off stage. Over the speakers they call Administrative Support Research Project. My event. I wait anxiously to hear my name as a finalist. After calling six names, I hear Abby E. Sara, sitting next to me, gives me a high five as I start to make my way to the stage. I’m filled with a sense of accomplishment, knowing I placed in the top ten.


The Cambridge Dictionary defines accomplishment as ‘something done or finished successfully’ or ‘the finishing of something’. I truly think it is more than that. It is not merely a task finished successfully, or something you did minimally. It is not about getting recognition for what you’ve done. But rather something you have been working toward for a long time without giving up. Something that when you finish, you can’t help but smile and feel good about.


Finishing my first Susan G. Komen 3-Day Breast Cancer Walk has given me one of my biggest senses of accomplishment. It’s a 60 mile walk over three days to raise money and awareness for breast cancer; something that impacts countless lives. My mom and sister participated in the event for a few years, and when I turned fifteen, I was finally old enough to join them. Being involved in athletics, I thought walking 60 miles wouldn’t be that hard of a challenge. I was wrong. I didn’t know the blisters that would form on my feet or how powerful the hot sun could feel after beating down on me all day. I didn’t know that one of the days, we would walk in the rain all day soaking every inch of my body. These challenges were given to me and at some points, made me want to give up. But I wouldn’t. It required strength and perseverance to help end breast cancer. Crossing the finish line after three days of being both physically and mentally challenged, was a huge achievement.


We stand in a line to the right of the stage waiting for the event before us to leave. Once they walk off, the lights dim, and we walk on. We stand behind the podiums, which are labeled from fifth place to first place. There’s ten of us on the stage, only five names will be called, and only three will go to nationals. The lights brighten and I can’t see beyond the first few rows of seats. They start by calling off fifth place. My name isn’t called. They call fourth; again, not called. Third, then second; both times my name isn’t announced. The girl who got second looks super smart and serious. There’s no way I could get first. Although I feel disappointed, I continue to smile, still happy I made top ten. They announce the first place winner and I’m in shock. They said my name. I walk ahead and step up on the podium.


When I sit at the piano, I want to play so many songs. My music list is an endless array of songs of all different genres. There are times I pick a song to play that I can sit down and sight read effortlessly. Most times, I choose a song that will challenge me. One that takes practice and repetition to learn and play correctly. Last winter, I took on Solfeggietto by Carl Bach. It’s a song played in C minor, and although it is not a very long piece, it moves along quickly. Sixteenth notes fill up the pages, covering them in small, black dots. I felt intimidated. I thought I would give it my best shot, but didn’t really think I could play this song as it should sound. A few weeks later, I played the song almost effortlessly by memory. All it required was some dedication and time, and what seemed so hard became easy. It felt good to sit and play the song after working hard at learning it.


I can’t help but smile. A girl hands me a large trophy and I look up into the crowd. I see my advisor, Mrs.Kuehn, crouched down in the first row, camera out, and smiling. From our group, someone shouts my name. The applause wraps up and I step down from the podium. I walk off stage and walk back to where our group is sitting. Immediately everyone congratulates me. Mrs. Kuehn tells me how proud she is of me and can’t wait to go to nationals in Dallas. I can’t either; thinking of sitting by the pool under the hot sun, and seeing a new city seems so exciting.  I sit down in my chair and take a deep breath after feeling all this excitement.


Accomplishment is something I’ve experienced all throughout my life. It started when I was too young to remember the first time I felt it. Most likely, after learning something at preschool or at my house. I experience it in school, sports, relationships, and everyday life. But accomplishment doesn't come without work. In order to feel it, I have to put in hard work, dedication, and perseverance. I have to care about what the task at hand and try to see the end results when I start.


Harvey Mackay, a businessman and author, said, “a great accomplishment shouldn’t be the end of the road, just the starting point for the next leap forward” (Harvey Mackay Quotes). My accomplishments continue to push me even further. They don’t make me want to give up, but rather try harder. They make me set even higher goals than I first set and prove to me what I can do and the potential I have.


The awards ceremony wraps up. We all stand up and make our way out of the ballroom. As people congratulate me, I think of what I just achieved. A sense of accomplishment fills me up. I start to think about what I can change and make better for nationals. This accomplishment makes me think of my next step forward.