My New Idea of Beauty | Teen Ink

My New Idea of Beauty

By emilycathryn SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
emilycathryn SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

7:00 A.M, and I hear the click of the lights in my room. I agreed to hike Hetch Hetchy to the Wapama Falls today at Yosemite.

“Emily, this is something that I want to do, so please no complaining.” My mom sighs.

I roll out of my bed, and pull on my chunky hiking leggings and wool sweatshirt.

An hour and a half later, the monster Ford rental SUV pulls into the parking space. The hike begins with walking over the O’Shaughnessy Dam.

As I peer farther over the edge, my face continues to turn a deeper red. I start to sweat, and pick up the pace to get over the dam. I take a breath and peer into the distance. The chirping of the birds draws me into the lush tree life.

As the hike progresses, the views stun my idea of beauty, a mirror like lake, air so clean it could cure a sickness, and clear skies. Near the end of the 2.5 miles, a waterfall came into ear shot. The sound of water hitting rocks, like the music at a hard rock concert. I feel ashamed of my thoughts before, not wanting to come and visit this place. It is a place that rewrites beauty.

My mom and I take a seat on a rock and begin to understand how lucky we are to be here, engulfed in a national park, nothing but wildlife, blue skies, and lush greenery surrounding. The canyon providing peacefulness, with nothing but the noises of sharp winds and waves hitting the rocky shoreline.

We learn from fellow hikers that springtime is the best time of the year to come to Hetch Hetchy, when the temperature is ideal and the animals begin to come out. As we approach the waterfall, hikers pass us hurrying. I whip my head to look up the canyon to see a brown bear peering down at me. Will it jump on me, will it just go away, what should I do? I meander away silently, and then slowly start to run. My family follows closely behind me until we come into sight of the dam. We stare at each other for a while, and then burst into laughter. The bear must have found other food, but we head back to the car just in case. It isn’t often that we come in that close of contact to a brown bear, who could’ve been hungry.

“Hey mom, thank you for making me come. And sorry for being so rude before,” I gasp.

“You’re welcome, now will you come hiking with my more often?” she acknowledges.

“Well I don’t know about that,” I laugh.

Hetch Hetchy, a place the problems of the world cannot reach us, and we can live without worries. A feeling many people will not get to experience. An appreciation that people who journey to Hetch Hetchy will ever enjoy.  

I worked in an intergenerational team to complete this essay.