Fishing | Teen Ink

Fishing

By CarsonEAlbright BRONZE, Wrentham, Massachusetts
CarsonEAlbright BRONZE, Wrentham, Massachusetts

When I was about seven in 2007 I went on trip Jamestown, Rhode Island and when I came back I never ate fish again.

"Let's go Carson!” Coming mom, I'm super exited and can't wait to go camping. I run down the stairs with my bags. I want to try out our new tent. My dad is loading our bags into the car while we all prepare ourselves for the journey ahead. The ride to Jamestown (where the campsite was),was only about an hour but it felt like much more. When we are arrive I want to do is roast marshmallows over a classic camp fire so I ran into the forest to find some sticks while my parents set up the tent. I want to have the fire right away but my dad said it's still too early so we decided to go for a walk to look around at the campsite. To our surprise we saw the Cooks our closest next door neighbors, while walking down the path. My sisters and I love Mr. Cook because he's the life of the neighborhood. Every Christmas when there's lots of snow he builds a giant snowman with his bulldozer. My mom and dad have been talking to the Cook's for a long time now. Mr. Cook told my parents that he's going out fishing tomorrow and asked if we would like to join him. I absolutely love riding on fast boats so this idea is thrilling to me. My sisters are just as into the idea so my parents happily agreed.

"Rise and shine”, it's about six in the morning so all I want is for him to let me go back to sleep but my Dad said if we don't leave early we will miss all the fish. I slowly wake and dress myself for a fun day out on the boat. Mr. Cook picked us up in his pick up truck that was pulling the boat. The ocean was close to the campsite so we drove a little ways and then backed the truck down the steep hill until the boat was completely in the water. I helped unhook the boat from the truck then jumped in waiting for lift off.

Speeding through the waves, our hair flying and waves splashing was so fun. Mr. Cook has a scanner which shows if there are many fish below us.The boat slowed and came to a slow stop when Mr. Cook said this is the spot. He grabbed the poles put a little piece of bait on one,  threw it in and told me to hold it. It didn't take long before I felt a tug, it was more of a yank. This fish was really strong I pulled back but needed my Dad’s help. I had to give him full control when it was time to reel him in because the fish became to heavy for me. My dad pulled the fish up and Mr. Cook grabbed it to help the fish into the boat. It is a huge fish about 2 1/2 feet long, I can't believe I caught it. It flips around until Mr. Cook slashes it. I close my eyes while he is slicing it up to use it for bait to catch even bigger fish. This continues for about 15 minutes. I watch the men catch huge fish and throw them in a bin in the boat. The largest fish caught that I can see is about 4 feet long. They rip the hooks right out of the fish causing some blood to drain from them. Now the poor fish that do live are gasping for air or the ones that die are being sliced and diced. The waves are causing the boat to bounce. There is blood flowing up and down the front deck. I can't watch this anymore. I want to go back but the fish we are catching are huge and Mr. Cook can get money for these fish by selling them to local restaurants. He almost never catches fish this big. I’m not feeling well with the wavy water, fishy smell and bad view. I can't take it anymore! I don't feel well at all. I asked Dad if we can go back but he wasn't listening so I asked mom who wasn't feeling well either. I am persistent and will not stop until I get to go back. Mooom can we go back now. Daaaaad can we go back now. I ask until finally Mr. Cook gave in to my demand to take me back to the dock. The fast, windy ride back to the dock settled my stomach but not my mind. My little sister, my mom and I get off while the others decide to try and catch some more fish. They couldn't find another fish all day. I am still scared of what I just witnessed and promise myself to never go fishing again.

I haven't eaten fish since 2007 and don't plan on going on anything but a speed boat for the rest of my life. This experience was mortifying, as well as, a loss of innocence because I experienced first hand what happens to the fish people eat. I never thought about the death of animals until that day. My weak stomach and lack of tolerance may be seen as a humorous moment to a fishermen or someone with more experience but this event changed my life.

This is a true story about myself when I was about 7 years old.