My Time in Berlin | Teen Ink

My Time in Berlin

By mk043 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
mk043 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

The time when you realize how different your life will be from one moment to the other is one of the scariest  moments that anyone experiences.

This summer I invited my girlfriend to come with me to a Mumford & Sons concert, in Germany’s capital city, Berlin, a very big, beautiful, old, colorful, open-minded city with funny people. It’s a culture city… a music city.  It was their first concert in Germany, so I decided to take herthere because it is our favorite band. When I told her that we are going there she couldn’t believe it.

“You are the best boyfriend in the whole universe! Every time I wake up I love this universe, because you are mine and I decided to never let you go!” She said.

I thought of this coming to the conclusion how small or big everyones own universe can be and that she is such a big part of my small universe.

So at the concert we were the happiest people ever lived, we simply loved each other and nothing could have stopped us. Without asking for that she gave me a really long handwritten letter. This letter changed my emotions and my way of thinking for the next month, because it was the last month being in Germany. Her text started with the following sentence ‘this will be the last letter I will give you before personally and that makes me want to die’. In this particular moment, I realized how short the time is to say goodbye. For ten, long months we wouldn’t be together and we would never geht it back. All the other text and everything made me think about time and love, and it showed me also how much I like and need her because she is the best girlfriend in the world. This would also show why I worked so long just to pay the concert tickets for us both, because I knew how much I love her and that also I never let her go.

After the concert we drove through the city at night and talked about what thought the whole time.

I only said “Time goes way too fast.”

And my girlfriend simply answered “but the best time is being together with you and love lasts forever”

And I added “and over every distance.”

When I now think of the concert it was the best time of my life and I recognize that her letter really changed my way of thinking and this is just great. I realized about myself that a minute can be so long or so short, time changes and can go so fast, I can't do everything I want, I have to make the best out of it and just love my life.

I am an exchange student from Germany in America. This memoir is about how I realize how time really works, weeks before I left for one year.