16 By Victoria Lach | Teen Ink

16 By Victoria Lach

December 16, 2014
By Anonymous

In the first frame the girl is young, around 7 or 10 years old.  She runs into her bright yellow room laughing, and shuts the door behind her.  She’s smiling without her four front teeth and turns her back to the door, slowly sliding down onto the ground.  She crawls under her desk on all fours and grabs a pillow to rest her head on.  She grabs the first book she sees with her tiny hands, no larger than the sneakers that she unties and throws to the side.  Her smile widens past her ears as she opens the front cover, her eyes fill to the brim with elation and her croaky voice helps her to singsong the words, that begin flying out of the book, in a whisper.  She gapes at the pages, where her mind takes the images out and spits them onto the walls of the room.  She props herself up with her weak arms and stands up straight with her shoulders pulled all the way behind her.  Her mouth falls open and her jaw locks as she slowly spins around, first once, then twice, then again and again and again.  She watches the story unfold right before her, running from the window to the closet, and back again.  She giggles at the humorous parts, and cries a juvenile cry during the sad parts.  During the frightening parts she closes her eyes and jerks her flower coated covers over her bulging eyes.  As the sun slowly melts from the top of the sky, she realizes how tired she is and drags herself into her bed.  Her tiny, tenuous body sinks through the mattress, through the ground, to the place where she plays games behind her eyelids until the stage crew pulls the sun back into place.

In the second frame the girls is older.  She runs into the room that was once yellow, but she’s stripped the walls down to their insecure, vulnerable shade of white.  She slams the door shut and actuates all the locks from top to bottom, then checks them again from bottom to top.  Somewhere along the way she forgot how to smile, so she doesn’t bother to try anymore.  Tears flood her face and spill onto her hands where the salt burns into the cuts that bleed.  She crawls back into the same corner and lays naked on the cold floor.  Her mind spins in circles and stumbles home in the middle of the night hoping that no one will hear the front door close. Her hands hug her shaking body and try to comfort her but they’re tired from her over usage of them.  She grabs the book from under her bed and remorselessly begins tearing out the pages, slicing her fingers with the edges.  She stands up and throws the book at the wall, it falls open and the images throw themselves out.  She drops to the ground, the images transfigure into evil and chase her down her room until she’s screaming so hard that her lungs catch on fire and burn through her chest that’s covered in sweat.  The room dims and pulls her hair out of her scalp.  Pennies fill her mouth and her eyes roll back to see her mind one more time and apologize for the unrepairable damage, but before the words make their way out, the images fly back into the book, which closes itself.  She lays face down as her body slowly disintegrates, the stage crew leaves for the night and the sun never goes back into place.