State Championship | Teen Ink

State Championship

By jearldine BRONZE, Clarkston Mi, Michigan
jearldine BRONZE, Clarkston Mi, Michigan

November 30, 2013 Clarkston Vs. Catholic Central at Ford Field for all the marbles, the class A State Football Championship! Clarkston who has never been to a state finals game before , while Catholic Central who has been to state finals game 3 years in a row, are in the tunnel and are ten feet away from each other and you can feel the intensity. This game is the biggest game Clarkston Football has ever experienced, in school history, and it was going to be a bloody battle out there. As I walked through the tunnel onto the field my mind went back to boarding bus and seeing the whole community cheering for us , wanting us to bring home the trophy, so badly. They got up early and brought pom poms and well wishes, “Let’s Go Boys!, Get it done! Go Wolves!” The band was playing the school song. I was saying to myself, “ I can’t believe this happening to me I am going to get dressed in the Lion’s locker room, I am going to play on the same field the Detroit Lions play on! “
Now I am in the tunnel at Ford Field, as I get closer to the field I am hearing the thousands of Clarkston fans screaming their hearts out for us, it just gave me goosebumps. I am out of the tunnel and can see all the fans and they look so small from the field and could feel the energy from the ground. As I run out on to the field I see half of the Ford Field stands filled with Clarkston fans, all wearing gold, and seeing people you have never seen before cheering, “Go Wolves! Go Wolves!” For me it was a surreal moment. I said to myself, “All these people came all the way downtown to watch me play and support our team. This is amazing!” It was so loud I could not hear the person next to me talk. The noise in the arena was so intense. I had to scream to talk to the person next to me. When a coach standing next to me was talking all you could see was his mouth moving and heard no sound.

Just standing on the sidelines and seeing the cameras magnifying each moment and having reporters standing all over the sideline ready to interview the Champion. This made me,as a player, feel so famous and so proud to be on the Clarkston Football team. As the game went on the crowd seemed to get louder and louder, “Go Wolves! Go Wolves!,” and it felt like every time there was a score you were going to need a hearing aid after the game.

It was the fourth quarter we were up big. There was one minute left. Catholic Central had the ball they tried for a touchdown but did not succeed. We got the ball back on the 40 yard line. As the Clarkston offense stepped on the field, each second on the clock was ticking, I was watching the clock, the crowd is getting louder and louder, “Go Wolves!!! Go Wolves!!” The kids on the bench were going crazy. They were jumping up and down, screaming at the top of their lungs, crying and hugging each other. The stadium was exploding like the winners of the Super Bowl. When the clock hit zero you could see men turn in to kids. I was going insane jumping up and down, I screamed, “We Won! We Won!” and enjoying every moment of it and embracing it like it was my last . I said to myself “Finally! We worked so hard for this moment. We started back in July I sweated through the dog days of summer and grinded through September and October. November got cold and I was still out there playing football.

As I kid all I dreamed about was playing varsity football. I thought that would be amazing. Playing varsity football was amazing and winning a State Championship made it even more sweet. This is something I never even dreamed of.