Singn' in the Rain | Teen Ink

Singn' in the Rain

By Cinnabelly GOLD, Toledo, Ohio
Cinnabelly GOLD, Toledo, Ohio

“I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”

“You can never have too much butter!” I laughed as Julia Child threw a whole stick of frothy yellow butter into a cast iron frying pan; I reached into the popcorn bowl and popped a few pieces of popcorn into my mouth. I looked down at my hand and noticed the little flakes of salt sticking to my fingers. Ignoring all prior warning I licked the salt off of my fingers. I could practically hear Claire's voice shouting "Maria, you are going to have a heart attack if you keep doing that!"

“Mom, I think I am going to go make some tea.”

“Okay, do you want me to pause the movie for you?”

“Nah, I’ve seen it a million times before, I’m fine.”

I walked into the dark kitchen and noticed the ever-lingering aroma of popcorn. I’m not too sure is Julia Child is right in her butter theory; because I am not almost positive that the popcorn had way too much butter on it. I reached into the cupboard and pulled out my favorite heart warming Echinacea tea. It’s like Christmas in a cup. As I boiled the water I pulled out some honey and cream. Once my water was ready I dropped the tea bag in and watched it bob to the surface. I love watching the brilliant colors burst from the tea bag and swirl around in the steaming water. I stirred my tea and threw the teaspoon into the sink. Out of habit I checked my reflection in the window above the sink. Once I was satisfied with my hair I flipped off the lights and shuffled into the living room, trying my hardest not to scold my skin with tea.

As I entered the living room I noticed that my mom wasn’t there anymore, but the movie was still playing. At first I thought she was on the phone for work but she wasn’t in her office. So I started to search around the house, but I just could not find her. So many possibilities drifted through my head about where she may be. Suddenly I spotted her sitting on the front porch. I set my tea down on a wooden side table making sure not to leave a watermark. I swung open the front door and sat down next to my mom.

“It’s fun to watch the rain isn’t it?” my mom questioned.

“Yeah, sometimes.” I said. “I remember when I used to run around in the rain when I was little. I had those cute little ladybug rain boots and matching rain coat.”

“Yeah, I remember that, you were such a cute little kid.”

“I kind of wish that I could still do that, and hey I am still super cute!”

“You can still do that, and yes you are still cute.” my mom said as she chuckled.

“Really, I can?”

“Sure, why not, go ahead.”

Once my mom said that I could go run in the rain I immediately sprang off the porch and ran right into the middle of the driveway. But then my wonderful little brain happened to remember that if I were to be struck by lightning it would really hurt and probably kill me; as soon as I remembered that I ran right back to the porch.

“What are you doing?” asked my mother.

“I really don’t feel like getting struck by lightning!” I exclaimed.

“Maria, you are not going to be struck by lightning!” said my mother sounding very sure of her self.

“Well you never know, do you want me to die? Because if I do it will be your entire fault!” I sang playfully.

“No, I don’t want you to die, just go back out there!” my mom said with a smile on her face.

“Fine, but take my ring, I don’t want the lightning to be attracted to it and strike me.”

“Okay” my mother sighed as I handed her my Claddagh. I slowly inched back onto the driveway. Jumping every time I saw lightning. But as the seconds past I became surer that I was going to live. I took a deep breath and lifted my face up to the night sky. I was reminded of just how much I love rain. I twirl around and around. I took the rubber band out of my hair and let my dark brown curls fall gently down my back. I looked down at my perfectly painted purple toes and decide that I should jump in some puddles.

I sprinted to the street and jumped in the puddle at the end of my driveway. I skipped up and down the street spinning and twirling stopping every now and then to stomp in a puddle. I paused for a moment and watched how the street lamp illuminated the little raindrops falling from the pitch-black sky. I ran and ran feeling as free as a bird. One thing that I love to do is run with no shoes on, and that is even better in the rain. Even though the last time I ran without shoes on i ended up with poison ivy. Once I had tired myself out I practically floated back inside feeling refreshed and calm.

As I changed into dry pajamas and brushed out my now soggy and tangled hair I realized it is important to appreciate the little things in life that make you smile. No matter how simple it may be. I learned to never take life too seriously and to love the life you live. You never know what will happen tomorrow, so be glad for today.

Hey, I wrote this quite some time ago and I just now found it. I might have been little when I wrote it but I thought I'd post it anyway! :)