Here With Me | Teen Ink

Here With Me

July 6, 2012
By Robkingett PLATINUM, Tallahassee, Florida
Robkingett PLATINUM, Tallahassee, Florida
24 articles 0 photos 86 comments

Favorite Quote:
When I was little they called me a liar, but now I'm grown up, they call me a writer.


I am all alone, wishing that someone's beloved arms could be my shelter, my base, and my safety for all eternity. When I am speaking to the crowd of a local high school, my shield presents itself with such force that not even a frown is seen by me. On my way back from the speaking engagement, I start to wind down and wilt. I hold my days pay in my hand, along with the pay that I got from the news article I wrote in the magazine today. Once the taxi reaches my house, I pay the driver graciously. The night sky swallows me up as I walk in my clean polished house in a quiet suburban area. I walk inside, flick a few lights on, and sit on the empty couch. Once my guide dog is out of her harness, and we are sitting down watching a movie eating a small scoop of ice cream and have our ears locked on the movie dirty dancing, the tears fall on me like soft splotches of hidden sorrow. I look beside me to the cold dead air space beside me. I wish it were occupied with someone who I love.