Letter to a Future Date | Teen Ink

Letter to a Future Date MAG

By PinkCleats GOLD, Newark, Ohio
PinkCleats GOLD, Newark, Ohio

Dear Whatever-Your-Name-Is, I'm writing this to convince myself that you're out there. I really hope you're out there. Please be out there. Right now I am 14 and the Amazing Non-Dating Girl of my middle school.

This is all my parents' doing. I am not allowed to think about guys (the horror!) until I finish college. And maybe a doctorate.

But if, by some miracle, you find me before my oh-so-imperative education has run its course, my mom has consented to let me bring you home for dinner. She will make lasagna and ask where you go to church. My dad will wear his clergy collar, bleached extra-white for the occasion, and carry a pair of nunchucks looped through his belt. He will drill you on math, so come prepared.

My twin brother might enter with pictures of me in my “braces and acne” stage a few years ago – but only if he's feeling protective. If he's feeling normal, he will try to sneak the bright yellow whoopee cushion he got in his Christmas stocking onto a chair. Please be aware of this upon entering the house. If you sit on it, he won't stop laughing until dinner.

My younger sister, Angie, will be examining your clothing with the scrutiny of a New York fashionista, so don't mix your prints. Devin … well, it depends whether he's mad at me today, and what kind of extinct animal he's currently studying. You might see him, you might not. If you do, please refrain from making fun of his bad haircut. It's a sensitive subject among 11-year-olds.

Dear Whatever-Your-Name-Is, I'm only slightly exaggerating. I might not have to finish a doctorate before I can date.

I hope I didn't scare you off. Please don't get scared off. I've prepared you the best I can.

Some names have been changed to protect the identity of the siblings of the Amazing-Non-Dating-Girl. They would kill me if they found out I wrote about them. =)

Star boob said...
Wow. I understand what your saying due to how beautiful you illustrated it.

the keeper said...
Funny..... BUT so TRUE!!! love it!!!

This is very touching and I like how you wrote a letter to this future Boyfriend of yours. Explaining what he might run into when he meets your family.

dr a said...
it has amazing facts and great detail i also like how your writing to someone in the future but you dont know who.

thebushhippie PLATINUM, Sandown, New Hampshire

Leave behind your own footprints! :0)

I love how you wrote this in letter form! so funny, but true......keep writing!

CadyR BRONZE said...
CadyR BRONZE, Head Of St. Margarets Bay, Other

You must be the change you want to see in the world
-Mahatma Gandi

This was so good and so relateable! I think that everyone can relate to you to some extent and I think you did an amazing job with this piece! Keep writing!

alaskatrailmutt, Jefferson, Maryland
I like it. Same here, poor future guy. XD Oh well right? I love the letter to hom-ever stuff I want to go write one :D

coinkedink BRONZE, San Marcos, California
omg this is so much like my family you would not believe! i loved this and it's exactly what would happen if I brought home a guy. lol. keep writing!!

Incitata BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

"That's what the conspirators want you to think, dear."

Awwh this is so cute!

Heathurrlovesyouu SILVER, Morristown, Tennessee

"Nothing of me is original, I am the combined effort of everyone I have ever known." -Invisible Monsters

This is really cute. I enjoyed it. :)

pmkenzie said...
on Jun. 27 2010 at 5:09 am
pmkenzie, ,, Other

"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love." - Professor A. Dumbledore

haha oh I didn't even think of that. lol, I'd def get in trouble if my parents saw that I wrote something that even mentioned guys (they're like wicked paranoid). haha. Good that you didn't, though :)

on Jun. 25 2010 at 11:49 am
antoniutc BRONZE, Edison, New Jersey

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. -Henry Thoreau

To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch… to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded! –Ralph Emerson

This really reminds me of that childrens' boooks series with If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. The format's so alike: "If you...then...", and omg i love childrens' books. Don't stop writing or else I'll kill you and I don't want to have to do that 'cus your writing is beautiful.

PinkCleats GOLD, Newark, Ohio
haha your not a creeper! And thanks, I was so excited when I got published, except that I didn't exactly want my parents to see the article. They did. Fortunately they were proud enough of me that I didn't get in trouble;)

deka9 said...
I agree with you guys and perhaps advise the guy to learn martial art for his own well being :P Excellent job, Hannah!

whatshername GOLD, Carlsbad, California
this is great! 

pmkenzie said...
on Jun. 5 2010 at 12:47 am
pmkenzie, ,, Other

hahaha wow, I feel like a creeper for finding you here... And good job getting published in the magazine :)

PinkCleats GOLD, Newark, Ohio
thanks for the compliments! and yes, I think we've "met" before, maybe on Cricket's website. Hey its good to hear from you again:)

on Jun. 3 2010 at 10:26 am
wishicoulddeletemyaccount BRONZE, Saint Louis, Missouri

I might do the same... but the first line of mine when referring to my family would be "I am so sorry for what you are about to experience."

;)

pmkenzie said...
on Apr. 21 2010 at 12:05 am
pmkenzie, ,, Other

This is adorable! I love it :) Btw, I believe I met you on another literary magazine's website a long time ago (ooh what, maybe a year or two now?). They called me Paige there.

peparks BRONZE said...
on Apr. 17 2010 at 10:45 am
peparks BRONZE, Cedar Park, Texas

"If life was a dream, would yours be a nightmare?"

I love this! It's so sweet and very clever!