Why I Love My Best Friend | Teen Ink

Why I Love My Best Friend

By laurenjenkins24 BRONZE, Wenztville, Missouri
laurenjenkins24 BRONZE, Wenztville, Missouri

It had been two years of pain when my mom finally forced me to go to the doctor.I thought I was suffering from shin splints and just needed to toughen up and play through the pain. I have been playing soccer my entire life and I realized I only had a few years left, so I didn't want to miss a single second of it. However, I also knew that my mom was not budging on her decision, and I was going to have to get it checked out. So, I went to the orthopedic with my mom that rainy afternoon knowing that I would be getting bad news, but clinging on to the hope that it was just shin splints and I could continue to play through the pain. After multiple tests and talking with the doctor he broke the news to me that I had stress fractures in both shins and would be missing my entire junior soccer season. I was devastated because it was finally supposed to be my year and I had worked so hard just for it all to be taken away with one sentence. My mind was racing and tears were streaming down my face the entire car ride home. All I could think to do was call my best friend. “This isn’t fair, I don’t understand what I did wrong, I just want to quit and not have to worry about coming back,” I said to her. At that moment I was defeated, and I wanted to give up. I knew the recovery process was going to be extremely hard mentally and physically, and I didn’t want to go through that. But my best friend replied, “You will not quit and you are not giving up. You will come back from this.” From that point on my entire mindset changed and I knew that I was going to do everything I could to come back from this. So, I love my best friend because she’s always there for me. In my worst moments my only thought is to go to her and in my best moments my first thought is her. She was also the first person I called after every doctor's appointment, physical therapy, and my first game back. I love my best friend because she believes in me when I can’t believe in myself. I never thought a comeback would be possible but she never doubted me for one second. I love my best friend because she’s the sweetest person ever. She always knows what to say and what to do to cheer me up. That’s why on my worst days in the comeback journey I chose to go to her. I love my best friend so much that she has a bigger impact on me than anyone else. I value her opinion and listen to what she says, which is why I was able to believe in myself when only she had confidence in me. I love my best friend because of the person she is and the way she makes me feel, and I love her for so much more than that.