All That I'll Ever Need | Teen Ink

All That I'll Ever Need

By triskit2 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
triskit2 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

Everything was dark around us except for the lights below on stage. The music boomed loudly, allowing nothing else to be heard, not even your own thoughts. We were singing at the top of our lungs and nothing else could be more perfect on this late September night. I looked up and to my right and was greeted by the brightest smile I have ever known. Having him by my side automatically made everything ten times better. I felt so warm inside and even a little fuzzy too. I was filled with love and happiness and even though we’d only previously met nine months earlier, I knew our time together wouldn’t be over anytime soon. Because when I was with him, time never stopped.

Last year on January 23rd, the second day of the new semester, I was walking to my 5th-hour class. I had ALA, and I only knew one person because my schedule was changed. I still felt like I was going in blind.

I tried to walk as slowly as possible in the hall without dragging my feet so much that I would get called a stupid sophomore. Yes, I was a sophomore, but not quite stupid. I always had my reasons. When I finally came to the door, I walked in and looked at the table where I had sat the day before with my only friend, Kenneth. He wasn’t at that table anymore so I started to panic a little on the inside. I looked around the room and then I saw him in the back of the class at a different table. He was sitting with another guy today, someone I hadn’t noticed in the class previously. I sat down next to Kenneth while across from this guy whom I didn’t know. He was skinny, and I could tell he was tall, even while sitting down. He had dark brown hair that was sort of on the shorter side and was wearing a blue striped sweatshirt. If you looked really close, you could almost see the intelligence leaking from his eyes. Oh, and did I mention that he was super cute too?

“Oh hey, Kyra,” Kenneth greeted me.

“Hi,” I responded quietly. I sat there awkwardly as he and the guy across from me talked together and laughed. Kenneth must’ve noticed my silence because then he finally introduced me.

“Oh, yea, Kyra, this is John. John, Kyra.” The guy named John waved as if silently saying ‘sup’, and I managed a shy wave back. Little did I know that as time went on, this guy that I barely knew would become the person I knew best, and he would become the person who knew me better than myself.

John and I had bought the tickets to go to Ford Field the night before the concert, and it was worth it. Ed Sheeran was one of our favorite artists, and it was a dream come true to be able to be in the same room with him. We hoped we’d be able to attend it for months.

Before the concert, we ate at a restaurant in Detroit that had shuttle buses that transported people to Ford Field, Comerica Park or Little Caesar’s Arena. There was a beautiful seating area outside that had lights hung above and a vase of flowers at each table. It was still sunny out, but a little chilly because of the wind. The air smelled of different kinds of food being grilled and was filled with sounds of laughter. There was also a game of giant Jenga set up on a folding table. Being teenagers that had never seen a giant version of one of the best games played during childhood, John and I eagerly walked over to it and started to play. We got it to stand by itself pretty tall, but then his mom motioned for us to come over because the shuttle bus had arrived. As we were walking away, I heard a huge crash! and cringed a little on the inside but still smiled and laughed with him. Without looking back, we knew that the giant Jenga had toppled to the ground.

When we got to Ford Field and through security, we purchased matching Divide Tour t-shirts from the stand and then wore them over our other shirts for the rest of the night. To this day, we don’t wear them without the other wearing it too. Once we were in our seats, we waited for the moment everyone was waiting for. For Ed Sheeran to make his live appearance.

When he finally stepped up to the stage, the crowd went wild with cheers and applause of joy and excitement. But he didn’t even start singing yet. He talked to us. He engaged with us. He told us honestly how glad he was that all of us could make it tonight. He even made us laugh. When he finally started to sing, hands were in the air and the bouncing of everyone in the crowd was synchronized. Ed Sheeran was having a blast while singing his heart out and strumming his hands back and forth across his guitar. When he’d hit the chorus again, he’d jump into the air and sing even louder. After any song finished, the roars of applause were as loud as when everyone was singing.

Every once and awhile throughout that night, I kept looking over at John. My best friend, my partner in crime, better half, and so much more stood right beside me. I wouldn’t have wanted to spend this night with anyone else but him. Every time he smiled, I could always feel my lips part to reveal one too.

When a slower, mellow song came on, we swung back and forth together to the beat of the music, hand in hand. The whole room was filled with tons of circles of bright lights, which was everyone waving their phone flashlights in the air. Faces were glowing not just from the beautiful brights lights, but they also glowed from the inside out. John had the biggest smile on his face, radiating light and joy. The feeling I felt was indescribably amazing. Hundreds of people from all over the country gathered here, all of us in the same place for the same reason. To see Ed Sheeran sing live, but most of all to spend a beyond incredible night with the ones closest to us. To make memories none of us would ever forget.

Afterward, my ears wouldn’t stop ringing. It was really dark except for the streetlights. On the drive home, we were exhausted, and I couldn't stop thinking about how glad I was I had met John. I used to take things for granted. I used to be really sad all the time. When I met him, he opened up a whole new world for me. He offered me new glasses that not only provided a different perspective on everything around me but also a better perspective on myself. Now, I’m a much happier person, not only with the world around me but also with myself. I’m a lot more confident in everything I do, and most of all, I’m not afraid to be who I am anymore. I realized that all anyone may ever need is someone to be there. This world is filled with wonderful people; you just have to find them. Now I know after tonight and all of the other amazing memories we’ve made together, that he’s all I’ll ever need.

This is based on a true story (names are changed), and it focuses on the importance of all kinds of relationships in our lives.