Interview with IT Manager Kirk H. | Teen Ink

Interview with IT Manager Kirk H.

April 21, 2008
By Anonymous

IT Manager Kirk Ha. has many responsibilities from day to day including computers. He lives in Aurora, Illinois, but works in Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois. In this interview he tells us what his life is like.

What is your daily routine?

My daily routine consists of many things. A typical day would consist of:

Sending communications to all IT personnel in the company, letting them know of important systems management tasks that need to be done.

Deploying important software updates to all computers in the firm and communicating the reasons behind this.

Developing new web-based functions and reports into my group’s systems management portal, thereby helping IT staff be more proactive in troubleshooting issues.

Managing data encryption for all laptop- and desktop-based files and information.

Monitoring system availability and uptime of critical enterprise applications.

Determining new and better standards and guidelines around the standard computer image I am responsible for.

Attending many meetings having to do with strategy, execution, and items like budgeting.

When and why did you decide to work in Information Technology?

I’ve always liked to work with people and I’ve always loved computers. Initially I decided to major in computer science, but changed my mind when I found out that it didn’t involve working much with people.

Have you ever felt like quitting your job and why?

Yes, but only very briefly. Sometimes the politics of business can drive you crazy and sometimes it doesn’t seem worth it. Most of the time everything is fine.

About how many people around in the company you work for have the same type of job as you (IT) and where are they mostly located?

There are about 200 people in my company’s IT department. They are located all across the country in about 52 offices. Most IT personnel are located are located in Oakbrook Terrace here in Chicagoland.
What college did you go to and why did you choose to go there?

I attended Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. I went there because it’s an excellent university and I always wanted to go there. They also have a nationally-ranked business school.

What is the average salary that a worker in your field makes?

The salary of an IT person varies widely. Depending on the type of function you perform, the company you work for, and the market you work in, you could make anywhere from $40K - $150K.

Would you consider your job boring or interesting and why?

I love my job! Although many people consider it boring, I find it very fascinating. I get to work with great people and with cutting-edge technology.

Before you worked in the IT field, what did you want to be and why?

I’ve always wanted to work with technology. Ever since I used my first computer in Jr. High, I’ve been very fascinated by them. Before that (computers weren’t really invented for personal use yet), I wanted to be in advertising and come up with some of the cool and funny commercials you see on T.V.

What company do you work for and where are you located?

I work for Grant Thornton in Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois. Grant Thornton is the U.S. member firm of Grant Thornton International, one of the six global accounting, tax and business advisory organizations. Through member firms in over 80 countries, including 52 offices in the United States, the partners and employees of Grant Thornton provide personalized attention and the highest quality service to public and private clients around the globe. I work for the internal IT department which provides technology support to the client-facing professionals.
About how many hours do you work each week?

I work on average about 45 hours a week.

Do you ever get extra assignments besides your daily work? If so, what are they?

Yes. I perform a lot of tasks in addition to my daily responsibilities. Some of these include becoming a FranklinCovey certified instructor (in the Four Disciplines of Execution program), participate on a senior leadership committee focused on operations and execution, and a knowledge management committee responsible for helping determine the technology used by the IT department regarding collaboration and knowledge sharing.