Milk- the original gay hero | Teen Ink

Milk- the original gay hero

“If a bullet should enter my brain, let it destroy every closet door”

-Milk

Harvey Bernard Milk became the first openly gay politician when he became apart of San Francisco’s board of supervisors. He is also known as one of the most influential gay right’s activist. The most significant thing about Harvey Milk is that he didn’t dare to be different. In the 70’s, imagining someone like Harvey Milk was impossible, back then homosexuality was still considered a mental illness and it was almost on its way to being passed illegal in the Supreme Court. However, that did not stop Milk as he went on to be elected to public office in California. During his time as a politician, Milk fought for the idea of equality among all, gay or straight, making him the first politician to go pro-gay. During his campaigns, Milk was considered outspoken, animated, outrageous and caring. Unfortunately before Milk got into office he was assassinated. However, his spirits still live on, research states that there was a rise in people who are LGBT since his death. Harvey Milk influenced me by teaching me that you don’t have to hide who you are to be something. “Harvey Milk is my Hero” states a 20 year old lesbian, ”with-out him lord knows there would be no Prop 8 or gay couples walking down the street. He opened up my world to possibilities”