My Chemical Romance | Teen Ink

My Chemical Romance

My Chemical Romance, this band means more to me than words can ever say. They have changed the world, and they have changed me. Whenever I think of this amazing band, which happens quite frequently, a jumble of words fill my mind. I have never before been able to make sense of these words. Beautiful, stunning, perfectly flawed, intelligent, funny, helpful, lifesaving, and the list goes on. This band has saved my life and many others.

Let us start with the singer, Gerard Way. He is the boy who was picked on as a child, the freak who was into art and musicals. The kids in his class who made him feel like an outcast also made him who he is today. He is now the man who is a great performer, a brilliant singer, and a talented artist. He has grown more then thought possible from the fateful day he brought together My Chemical Romance. Gerard’s inspiration was 9/11. He was in New York when it happened, he saw the bodies falling out of those buildings. 9/11 is the reason he decided to start a band. Their first album was dedicated to this horrid event that went down in history. Gerard gave you his bullets when you gave him your love, he was the mastermind behind the Sweet revenge, he is the leader of the Black Parade. My Chemical Romance fans look up to this man of 30 and say “He is the reason that I am alive, he is the leader of my five heroes,” well, at least I do.

We now move on to Frank Iero, the short one with the most energy and humor. Frank’s laugh has been the anti drug for many teens and his energy has been their will power. Frank is the heartbeat of the band and his humorous stunts always seem to cheer up moody and defeated fans. We need Frank more then we could ever explain to any person who sees him as a small man with too many tattoos that never had a chance to grow up. To us, those childish antics on stage only make him more important in our lives. The pranks he pulls, such as switching the signs on dressing room doors, succeed in adding a heartfelt laugh to our stressful and pointless lives. Frank is more than just a talented guitarist, to his fans he is the advil that keeps them going, the one who will always cheer them up when the rain is pouring down.

Next we have Mikey Way, the bass guitarist and younger brother of Gerard. Mikey was the one who wore thick rimmed glasses on the bridge of his nose and beanies over his fairly long brown hair. He is now the man who has short black hair and a beautiful personality. Mikey was willing to get up on stage every concert and play his heart out even though he suffered from panic attacks almost every time he did so. He would stand behind Gerard and look at the floor through the whole concert. The fans would laugh at him and think he was only shy, but that was before they knew the reason behind his sulky looks. When we learned Mikey’s cause we supported him, and now he is looking up at us with a confidence that rubs off.

Lastly there is Bob Bryar and Ray Toro. Bob is commonly known for the song he sang about Gerard. He may never be able to live down, “Gerard you make my heart burn.” Throughout the Revenge years only a short time ago, Bob used to hide from the cameras. Now we see him dancing and singing for them. He has shown us a change we never thought possible. Bob will keep on playing no matter what happens. He has proved this multiple times such as when Frank knocked down half of his drum set. In this situation, unlike most drummers, Bob kept on playing with half a set, and if you ask those who had attended this concert, he played well. Ray Toro is known as the mastermind. He is the extremely talented guitarist who has been friends with Mikey and Gerard since the beginning of College. He is the man with the fro and is always able to convince us that, yes it is possible for hair to take over the world. Bob and Ray are seldom recognized as any more then the wallflowers, people do not seem to notice all the accomplishments they have contributed.

That concludes The band of My Chemical Romance. You are not expected to understand the reason for this band’s fame if you are not a fan yourself. Even then only the broken or wronged souls can understand the healing powers of these five beautiful boys fully, not even I can claim to understand, but I believe. We look up to them, we respect them, we long to meet them, and we recognize them as the newest kings of alternative rock. Make way for the boys, for they have proved that miracles can and do happen. They were the ones who told us “If you look in the mirror and don’t like what you see, you can find out first hand what it’s like to be me.” Even now the words I am typing are only in black and white, without overwhelming emotion or colorful feelings. There is no possible way for these feelings to be put on paper, they can only thrive in our hearts. This one’s for the boys of My Chemical Romance, who rose to the occasion, instilled a sense of belonging in our hearts, and saved our lives.

lanarockss BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois
this is sad, knowing they broke up.

on Apr. 16 2013 at 11:35 am
EmmaClaireCupcake SILVER, Buffalo, New York

Sometimes you just need to forget what you feel and remember what you deserve.

I love My Chemical Romance and I am so sad taht they broke up. Really good job writing this peice!

spirahemmanuelle BRONZE, Jonestown, Texas

"food is medicine" - hippocrates

:)  yes it does! so very much

"food is medicine" - hippocrates

This is beautiful , i had goose bumps the whole time. I feel the exact same way :) i see you got a lot of things from life on the murder scene. that rocks :)   i could say a lot but the main thing is it's glad to read something like this, it's like you took the words out of my mouth for me. MCR is amazing ... and i hope you have their new album because its sooo good! :D

CarrieAnne11 GOLD, Potsdam, New York
I love this article!! While I can't exactly say that MCR completely "saved my life" like some people do, they did to a point. Their songs have soooo much emotion and I can relate to them so well. They remind me that I'm not alone. Plus, they're just rockin'!! They have some real talent. I will love them forever!!

DannyKid33 PLATINUM, Pleasant Hill, California

"Don't ever let the media tell you what to look like. You're beautiful the way you are. Stay beautiful, keep it ugly." - Gerard Way.

MCR are my heroes, and i know exactly what you mean by they save lives. i love them all, and  every single one of there songs.

Vexa_Rave SILVER, Mt. Clare, West Virginia
wow... it left out the "and Mikey" part. that's gonna make me look bad.... XD ALL OF THEM ROCK!!!!!!! ^_^

OMG, THIS IS THE FREAKING BEST ARTICLE EVER!!!!!!!! holy cow, you ROCK for putting this up!!! at first, when i heard people saying MCR saved lives, i was like, "that's weird..." now i know EXACTLY what everyone meant!! to the amazing men of MCR: Gee, Ray, Frank, Bob

Thanks for the article.

It means a lot to MCR's fans. =]

This is the best article MCR I've EVER read! Thanks so much for posting it! 'We'll Carry On!'