An Angel on Earth | Teen Ink

An Angel on Earth

If you ask me who’s my hero? Before last year, I would have mentioned a celebrity such as Christina Aguilera, or maybe even a famous person from the past like Frida Kahlo. Today I can assure you that no matter how many great women there are or has been or will be; there’s only one woman that gave me her all and that is my Grandmother Jovita.

Her life began in a rural part of Guerrero, Mexico back in the 1940’s. Growing up in that little farm it seem to be no where to grow and very little room for any mistakes. She was very well discipline and like any other farm girl she was destined to marry, have children, and be a women who takes care of her household. Her future had been established before she even had a chance to breathe. Because of the very little knowledge she had been provided with, she was stuck in an unwanted marriage and miserable. All she was believed to grow to be was there and she desire for more with something sweeter. She finally got away from that unwanted marriage and worked really hard day and night to be able to maintain all of her 9 children. Living in a small cottage still she wanted more and believed there was something more to that lifestyle that she had been withholding. From there courage, faith, or some may say miracle, she took a deadly chance to be here in the U.S, leaving behind all of what was dear to her. She came to this country with a loveable man who never let her fall and always gave her love. She didn’t regret her chance, because all she knew is that there was a better tomorrow.
They say that perfect love comes once you’ve become a grandparent. In some extend I believe that’s true. You learn from the mistakes of being a parent and you give endless love to your grandkids. I am not a mother yet and certainty not a grandmother, but I have learned from the best. Parenting is determined by individual background that is thought during the early stages of childhood. No childhood is complete unless is tendered and cared for by love and compassion. Besides love my grandmother gave me three special things starting with the value of prayer, the skill to stitch, and the vocation of production. From simple examples came life learning lessons. She gave me strength when I needed to fight. She showed me my talent by discipline and self-drive. She let me break those silly childhood rules just to see me laugh. Even in her stern appearance beneath it all she was just an angel. Just like any human being she has made mistakes. In the short amount of years of my existence I’ve made plenty of my own. In many ways I’ve become what I have been most dreadful about, but even then I am happy. One thing is for sure; my grandma never let me go. Till this day she keeps fighting for herself and her loved ones. Even thought her diabetes has been taking her day by day she will be loved and forever remember in my heart. She saved me from death, nurture my soul, and gave me hope.

Honestly, it makes me sad to think that she will soon leave, but at least her battle will end and soon she’ll be free. A grandma is warm hugs and sweet memories. She remembers all of your accomplishments and forgets all of your mistakes. She is someone you can tell your secrets and worries to, and she hopes and prays that all your dreams come true. She always loves you, no matter what. She can see past temper tantrums and bad moods, and makes it clear that they don't affect how precious you are to her. She is an encouraging word and a tender touch. She is full of proud smiles. She is the one person in the world who loves you with all her heart, who remembers the child you were and cherishes the person you've become. She’s my grandma and my angel.