An Unexpected Hero | Teen Ink

An Unexpected Hero

By TheColorSilver PLATINUM, Commack, New York
TheColorSilver PLATINUM, Commack, New York

TO: My Science Teacher.

Everyday we are exposed to new people. Some who simply pass by, some who walk in, some who leave footprints in our heart. Then, there are those who change our life. You never know when someone will be that one person who changes your life, but when you find out, it’s always too late.

When I walked into your classroom, that first day, so shy, so timid, so reserved, I was surprised to see that it was not you who awaited to teach our class, but it was a man. Our class had him for two days, and he was so funny and we didn’t do much, we all began to like him. Then, you came. All of us so disappointed. It must have been hard for you because we were all so stubborn, and accustomed to the old lackadaisical ways we had been taught. None of us were open to change.

We went through about six months of that. You had reached out to our class so many times, but now it was time for us to reach out to you. Surprisingly, we did. We realized how much we had learned and how prepared we were for the regents. We were ready.
But you know that you did that, here is what you don’t know. Through this process I learned to be comfortable talking to teachers. I am so often shy, and I learned that teachers are people, just like all of us. Another thing I learned is to not care what other people think. In science and track I embarrassed myself countless amounts of times, and now, I don’t care. I can make a joke out of it, and laugh. You gave me confidence, strength, and the power to decide what makes me me.

You may not now it, but you changed my life. I may not ever see you again, but the things I learned from you and in your class will help me the rest of my life. Forever will it be science time.

-Your Student

PS: Life is but a conglomerate rock. It is made of various pieces. Some that stand out, and others that are eroded with time.

tor10jax GOLD said...
tor10jax GOLD, Livingston, New Jersey
You write about such personal subjects. People should do that more often. Great job!