Voting: Not Just a Right, but a Commitment | Teen Ink

Voting: Not Just a Right, but a Commitment

By jimmerfredette SILVER, Lisbon, Wisconsin
jimmerfredette SILVER, Lisbon, Wisconsin

When I step into the voting booth, I understand the commitment I have ahead of myself. I understand people have fought for the right to vote. A right women do not have in Saudi Arabia, Kenya and over ten more countries, a right that no one has in North Korea. A right that has been fought for by women and people of color for over 100 years. A right that every American has by the Constitution. This right, many people take for granted. Others ignore it saying, “Why would my single vote count in a country with hundreds of millions of people?” or “I am too busy to vote,” or “I don’t like any of the candidates.”

The United States, a country that is known for freedom, is 26th in the world for voter turnout, behind many less developed countries, behind many less free countries. 86 percent of United States citizens are registered voters, only a few countries with more, but why is our voter turnout only 56 percent? (Desilver, 2018)

Voting is honoring the heroes that have fought for our country. Honoring those who gave up their lives for our freedom, those that put everything on the line to fight for their country. You won’t take 20 minutes to honor those that fought.

People fought for their right to vote and you can’t vote if it’s handed to you. People sacrificed their lives and you can’t honor them? Voting is not just a right, but a commitment. It is a commitment to honor those that fought for their right to vote and freedom. A commitment to honor those that don’t have that right.

References

DeSilver, D. (2018, May 21). U.S. voter turnout trails most developed countries. Retrieved from pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/05/21/u-s-voter-turnout-trails-most-developed-countries/