A Letter to a Veteran | Teen Ink

A Letter to a Veteran

By willsways3 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
willsways3 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

After watching the Honor Flight movie, it really touched me in a way that I never thought was possible. It made me realize how thankful I should be for everything that you have sacrificed and put on the line just to secure my safety. Welcome home.

Just like you, my great uncle was also a veteran in the Vietnam War so I can relate. Hi my name is Will M. and I am currently a junior in high school. I am writing today to show my gratitude towards you and all the pains and suffering that you went through to make me one of the luckiest kids in the world.

I live in America, a place that you defended while your time in the service. From what I’ve heard, people from all around the world would kill to live in America because of what you and all of your fellow peers believed in. You risked your life, not knowing if you would come out alive or not, but for your future generations back at home. You did this because you knew it was right, to stand up for something that you believe in.

You may have received all the thanks that you needed when you came back home, but now today everyone here in America is grateful for your service.

Everyone living in America is so thankful for what you have done for our country. I know that you fought for us when you were around the age of 18. I am currently 16, almost 17 and I couldn’t even imagine going and fighting for our country the way that your brave, courage soul did.

Thank you again for everything that you have done for me and all other fellow Americans.