Why I'm Thankful for America's Veterans | Teen Ink

Why I'm Thankful for America's Veterans

By EH_19 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
EH_19 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Wisconsin Veteran,

I would first like to thank you for your service, time and sacrifice to this country. Your selfless acts do not go unnoticed. I appreciate the sacrifices you have made in your life. I couldn’t imagine at the age of 18, leaving my family, friends and home to fight for our country.  I’m having a hard enough time thinking about leaving my family, going to college and figuring out what I want to do in life.

The Fourth of July is an important holiday that means so much to me. It represents independence, loyalty and the love for our country.  This holiday is recognized by the sacrifices made by our founding fathers in order to give us the country that we love so much today. It symbolizes the brave men who led battles against the strongest and fiercest military of its time. The people who defined what it means to be an American, and built our government from the ground up. For me, the Fourth of July is a time to celebrate our freedom and be thankful to those who have selflessly answered the call to serve our nation in times of war and peace.

This past May, I had the opportunity to be a guardian on the May Honor Flight. It was so surreal, emotional and amazing to see the reactions on the veterans faces when they read the letters that they received. They were grateful, surprised, and felt like they were appreciated. As they entered the plane, they saw friends that they haven't seen in years, which brought back memories and many tears. It was amazing to see the reactions on the veterans faces when they saw their memorials in Washington D.C. It was so powerful to hear the stories of other veterans and their experiences and what they went through. It was amazing to see the other veterans interact, and call each other nicknames just like old times. During this day, I hope you receive the recognition, gratitude and appreciation that you so deserve.

I am truly thankful for you and all other veterans. Thank You for the sacrifice you have given this country. I am so thankful for your bravery, sacrifice, and commitment. You represent the selflessness, and dedication it takes to put yourself before others, and the danger you put yourself into for others. Today is about you and welcome home! I would love to hear about your experiences.

Sincerely,

Emma

I wrote this to a Veteran going on the Honor Flight