Thank You Veterans | Teen Ink

Thank You Veterans

By JJC46 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
JJC46 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

I would first like to thank you for your time and service that you have put into the military, I am grateful for what you have done. It baffles me how one person can have so much courage and bravery to do the things that you and other veterans do.

My name is Justin and I am currently enrolled in high school. I personally have no connections with the U.S Military, but my two great grandpas were in the Canadian Military, along with my cousin. After watching a small part of the Honor Flight movie, it sparked a memory of when I went to Washington D.C. I remember going to all of the memorials with my fellow classmates, seeing all of the names on the walls. I never noticed how many veterans there really were until I went to the Vietnam Veteran memorial wall. It shook me to see how many people put their lives in danger for the safety of another person.

When I went to Washington D.C, I had the privilege to see the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I was in 8th grade when I saw the ceremony, so I didn’t know the true meaning of the ritual, but now that I know what it resembles and the time and effort they put into it, i’m amazed on the requirements and dedication they put into the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It’s hard to wrap your head around the process of changing the guard is like.

I am truly thankful for what you have done for this country to protect everyone. I hope that your honor flight experience is one of your best days yet. I wish I could meet you on the honor flight and thank you in person. I wish you a safe flight and hope you enjoy the honor flight!