doing it justice | Teen Ink

doing it justice

By Abigail.Oestreich GOLD, Warrington, Pennsylvania
Abigail.Oestreich GOLD, Warrington, Pennsylvania

Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

Throughout my twelve years of school I've written many essays, on many different topics, with many different points of view. Of those essays, there have been numerous "Who is your hero and why", or "Favorite Person", or my personal favorite "I want to be like ... When I grow up", essays. Some of these essays have been so heartfelt and others not so much. But they all have one thing in common: CLICHE. Like holy crap, the cliches I have used to describe the people I admire are literally innumerable. (The people I admire are also innumerable whoops) Why didn't I take that chance to truly express my admiration in a raw and real way, rather than describe them as "loving" or "nice" or "caring". Not to say that they haven't been those things or that I was lying, but man, I didn't do it justice. So here I am, trying to do it justice. All of this builds up to my feeble attempt at trying to convey the ever present greatness that is none other than Julie Rose. 

I guess I should preface this with the fact that I go to the SMALLEST school, so it really isn't that odd to befriend your teachers. At least it isn't that weird for us anyway. I haven't always loved writing, but I did when I went into eleventh grade. I was so excited for American Literature because everyone knows that Mrs. Rose is the best English teacher at my school. All I wanted was to learn from her, and she knew it. So the year started, and honestly, it didn't go all that well. I'm used to bringing home A's because I'm typically a pretty good student. I started bringing home C's and D's, in my best subject. What was going on? Why was this class so hard? Typical teenage assumption: the teacher hates me. So this went on for a while and I began to resent Mrs. Rose. She was, "making me hate English and writing and reading". At one point, I didn't even want to go to college anymore because I was so frustrated. Did I mention that I exaggerate things?  

I had to do something. My world was falling apart! (How dramatic!) I was talking to another teacher about the situation and she told me to stop trying to please the teacher but do what I love because I love it and therefore to do my best. It was good advice. And so, I had a talk with Mrs. Rose and I expressed my concerns and feelings in a adult way (I think). After that, something clicked. We started to gel. Class became interesting. I started learning. My writing improved (sososo much). All of these things ultimately led to better grades, although what are grades if you aren't learning anything? And so this is the story of how I came to appreciate Mrs. Rose. You see, she was a superb teacher the whole time. She never changed. In the beginning, it was me. My attitude and my lack of dedication were ultimately the cause of the negatives, not her. It took me a long time to realize what an opportunity it was to be in her class. 

Julie Rose loves Jesus. Her life shows it in the things she says  the way she acts, and in how she treats those around her. How many people do you know that cry when they pray? Many times she has encouraged me in my personal walk with The Lord. Julie Rose is patient. Through all of my sass she never got mad or once took it out on me. She challenged me in my studies because all she wanted was for me to grow and be a better writer and to become a better person. Julie Rose is the best listener I have ever met. She doesn't just wait until it's her turn to speak. She rarely speaks at all when you need to vent. She is always attentive and interested in what you have to say about your weekend trip to the beach or what you had for breakfast. She legitimately cares. Julie Rose is always open for spontaneous and unannounced visits at her house. She is more than happy to open her home to a group of girls that just need to talk. She feeds those she loves so be prepared for watermelon and root beer floats. Julie Rose is honest. Whether it be about a paper or how you're living your life, she will definitely tell you what she's thinking, if you ask. Julie Rose is loving, most of all. She loves all of her students and treats them like her own family. And lastly, Julie Rose grows like moss. In the beginning, you might find it annoying or unnecessary but then as it grows, you find out that it's soft and harmless. And although, I could never really do it justice to sit here and write about all of her great qualities, because there really are so many, these are the most important and the most impactful. 

So a very big thanks to my friend Julie Rose, for being the best teacher of my eleventh grade year and quite possibly of my life. You will always be loved and remembered by the three musketeers. And also, I truly am sorry for calling you Julie so many times, but it was purely stylistic so you understand.