Why Americans are...You Know | Teen Ink

Why Americans are...You Know

By onedirectionlover GOLD, Hampton, Virginia, Virginia
onedirectionlover GOLD, Hampton, Virginia, Virginia

We wonder why american child obesity is such a problem, part of it has to do with the fast food companies...but not all of it. You've seen those TV commercials where they have someone who used to weigh a lot, like 290 pounds or so, and say that they just ate a special food like JennyCreg or Nutrasystem. Guess what, you can't just loose weight on what you're eating. You have to move around and exercise too.

Particularly I mean schools. You are forced to sit down in one spot, all day long. Then there is that time in P.E., where in my school you're also forced to sit down most of the class. You can't stand up by your desk at all in school. You are quickly told by a teacher, “sit down!” On the bus ride or car ride home, you are constantly told to, “sit down!” That one can have safety issues involved, so that is an argument.

In my P.E. Class, we have to sit in lines on the gross gym floor for the first 20 minutes of class. What kind of, “physical education” is that? You do realize your body isn't made to stay seated and still for an hour and a half or however long your classes are, right? Your body needs to get up and move every 20 minutes. It doesn't have to be hard working, it could just mean to walk across a room and back.

So we wonder why american children are so fat you could say, today. Limited movement. Sure elementary students have recess, mine was only 15-20 minutes long, twice a day. Then the 5th graders had only one recess that lasted 20 minutes. Doctors say to get active 60 minutes a day, that's not happening with schools.

I remember in 6th grade, at breakfast my friends and I wouldn't sit down at a lunch table. We would stand in the corner where the “outtakes” would be at lunch. The guidance councilor that my friend, befriended(I never do that) came up to us and asked, “Why do you guys stand? Theirs plenty of tables.” Why sit? Theirs plenty of room to stand. We answered, “Because we sit all day, we need to stand in the morning.” Why american children are fat now, no one stands and walks around, that's why.

TheWhiteFlower BRONZE, Greenville, South Carolina

No man can be called friendless who has God and the companionship of good books. ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Obesity is a problem,

Great Article=)