Jenny | Teen Ink

Jenny

By Shannon Bader SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Shannon Bader SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

As a little girl, I remember dreaming of the day when I could travel across the world. When that day finally came, I was in shock to say the least. I went to Europe through a program called People to People, with about 40 other students from around the country. It was so exciting, but also a little intimidating when I stepped off the plane in England. We were all quickly piled on a bus and told to wait for our delegation manager.
The first time I saw Jenny, I accidently mistook her as another student. She easily fit an adolescent description. But when she spoke for the first time, she immediately caught everyone’s attention.

Jenny had hair the color of fire and a personality to match. She was the most energetic person I had ever met. She was bubbly and fun and I couldn’t have asked for a better delegation manager. She definitely made the trip ten times better.
Jenny was bursting with knowledge about her native British country and about the world. She constantly surprised us with small facts such as living in a house that was 300 years old (and calling it a baby!), or being an honorary African princess from her frequent trips to Continent. My two best friends and I were always the first to volunteer to help out or try new things and talk with Jenny. She had so much passion and heart; we couldn’t find it in us to stay away. She would play games with us and actually talk with us, instead of treating us like foreigners that she had to deal with for 11 days.

Jenny knew exactly what to say when my friend was homesick and she always had the perfect jokes. I still remember all of her phrases, such as a “rubbish bin.” That was our favorite. Also, Jenny had a special dance and playlist we all loved. And she even had her own dance to every song.
Jenny was compassionate, loving, and knowledgeable. I wasn’t the only one with tears in their eyes, when Jenny had to leave. Since being to Europe, I have decided to study international studies. Since meeting Jenny, I have decided to always have a positive outlook on life and be myself.

Jenny looked at the world differently than most people. She saw the good in everyone and the beauty in everything. She thought every little thing was special and had a purpose and beauty. She instantly captured everyone’s attention and her bubbly attitude brought a smile to everyone’s face. Jenny is a very important person to me as my delegation manager, my idol, and my friend.