Ms. Koepke | Teen Ink

Ms. Koepke

By Writerboy720 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Writerboy720 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Ms.Koepke 

By Justin Riegel

The anxiety was eating away at me, my heart pumping faster and faster as I approached my first class of the day. All I can remember was how afraid I was to begin another year at school, but that feeling soon faded as I approached my first class of the day, Spanish. 

Each of us have experienced at least one point in time where we were challenged too much or pushed too far. Sometimes teachers don't always help make the common stress better, some tend to make it worse and some will be supportive and empathetic. 

I remember walking into school for my first day of sophomore year at Arrowhead high school absolutely dreading the classes and just being at school. My first hour was Spanish 1 with Ms . Koepke, I was greeted with one of the kindest smiles and greetings I've ever received. I could tell just by meeting her that this class would be different for me. 

Meeting Ms. Koepke was one of the most memorable moments for me as a sophomore. She was very ecstatic to meet my class regardless of the fact that it was 7 in the morning. Everyday I would walk into her class and she would have this huge smile plastered on her face, she would greet every student, every single morning. 

I struggled with school a lot, specifically getting assignments done and just grasping the concepts. When I was a sophomore I didn't always do my best, but I tried my hardest to keep pushing myself to make it through the year.

I was at a point where it felt like no one could recognize how hard I was trying because I kept failing, but Ms. Koepke saw right through it. She said, “I just wanted to say I'm proud of you for trying. I can see that you really are doing your best even if it doesn't seem like it to everyone else.” 

Hearing her say that changed so much for me. I felt like someone actually saw me for me and not just some letter grade, this helped me feel better about my school work (at least for her class). It didn't just feel like I was being told to do something, it felt more like I was being shown something new, something I could learn.  Ms. Koepke proceeded to help me all year long with my Spanish so I could pass her class. She gave me opportunities to better myself and grow as a person. Never once did she put me down for doing something wrong, she would always help me learn based on my mistakes.