Mrs. King | Teen Ink

Mrs. King

By User13525 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
User13525 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Two weeks ago, I was sitting at the kitchen counter, finishing up my Pre-Calc homework, when I got a call from my sister. She’s an engineering student and was working on her applications for summer internships. She asked, “Lauren, can you help me with my resume and cover letter?” Someone who can solve the most challenging of Calculus problems, identify complex organic Chemistry reactions, was asking me to help with a resume, something I considered to be a rudimentary and fundamental skill. 

It occurred to me, however, that I was fortunate to have had Mrs. King as a teacher, as well as a mentor throughout my time in the Health Youth Apprenticeship Program (where students obtain their CNA certification and work to get patient contact hours). She helped me to learn professional skills I never would have been shown elsewhere. 

She taught me how to write an effectively composed resume that is both captivating and concise. How to write a well-rounded cover letter that reflects who you are both as a person and a prospective employee. She taught me how to prepare for an interview—how I can highlight my skills to a hiring manager and respond to situation-based questions that are often used in interviews. 

This is invaluable information for students and young adults. Something I thought everyone knew how to do. It wasn’t until I got the phone call from my sister, that I realized how little other people knew about these essential components to the real world of the workforce. 

Thanks to the skills that Mrs. King taught me, I was able to help my sister craft a skillful resume and cover letter that reflect her passion and knowledge effectively. Now, she is onto the next steps of her hunt for an internship, and will hopefully secure one soon. 

What stands out to me about Mrs. King is her willingness to help others, and to go above and beyond in doing so. She is like a mom to me, and I often tell her about my problems and stresses. Regardless of how minute or insignificant they are, she never makes me feel as if they are, and instead patiently listens to what I have to say and offers helpful advice.

I know that if I ever have a question or concern with work or school, or just something I am struggling with, Mrs. King will always be there for me and always has the best ideas on how to approach difficult situations. 

I know that without Mrs. King, I probably never would have been able to secure the jobs I have, and I certainly wouldn’t be half the CNA, or the person, I am today without her.

Mrs. King has taught me about professionalism and compassion in the workplace, and how important both of these aspects are in healthcare. 

So thank you Mrs. King, for teaching me the skills I need to be successful both now and in the future, as well as for always being there and supporting me in everything.