Mrs. Pierce | Teen Ink

Mrs. Pierce

March 9, 2020
By Anonymous

2013 and 2014 were not the best. My mom was dating somebody who was unhealthy and brought nothing but bad into our lives. During this time, I was unable to get sleep, causing me to be tired. Being tired made it hard for me to understand what we were learning. When I got home I was unable to concentrate, causing me to get even more behind. 


On the first day of 5th grade, at Hartland South Elementary School, I knew it was going to be just as bad as 4th. I would be so behind and be unable to concentrate on anything. As I walked into my 5th grade classroom, my eyes jumped to the locker area and the comfy area underneath. Mrs. Pierce walked right up to me. As she greeted me, she looked at me and smiled. “Hello young lady, I’m Mrs. Pierce, and you are?” She made me happy. Just her recognizing me made me think, maybe this year will be better than last. 


As 5th grade began, Mrs. Pierce’s teaching style threw me off. She found ways to make learning fun. With her doing this, it allowed me to think of school like a break from what was going on at home. She helped not only me, but my classmates. She took the time to make sure we understood what we were doing and if we didn’t, she would  help.


After school, I looked into her room and saw my best friends, Rachel and Haylee. My curious self, wandered into the classroom to see why they were still at school. They had their homework out and they had snacks, I wanted in! I asked the two girls what they were doing; they told me Mrs. Pierce was helping them with the math we were learning. I was also struggling with the math, so I asked if I could join. Mrs. Pierce said I could. 


Mrs. Pierce, going out of her way, and taking time out of her day to help her students was a caring thing to do. Even when I would have trouble with the easiest problems, she would help me. She was non-judgmental and good natured. Just by being able to spend that time with her after school helped me take my mind off of things t.


To this day, I look up to you, Mrs. Pierce. You are courageous, caring, accepting! You are one of the best people I have met. Even now, being a junior in high school, I still remember how much of an impact you had on me. 


Thank you for taking the time to get to know me. I appreciate everything you did for me and have done for me, in the past and now. Also, I just want to say, the dance parties were amazing, and Haylee and I still listen to “Apple Bottom Jeans”, because of you.