Photographer Lesley Bryce | Teen Ink

Photographer Lesley Bryce

February 22, 2012
By TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
254 articles 202 photos 945 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’


Name: Lesley Bryce
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Fave Food: anything as long as it’s fresh and natural
Fave Color: Crimson Red (not fire engine red)
Birthday: Jan. 16th
Occupation: Photographer

Lesley Bryce Photography holds a dual-focus covering private and commercial clients. For her private clientele she focuses on weddings, family, children and “modern pets.” Commercially she handles headshots, magazine covers and editorial work, catalog fashion and product marketing. Ms. Bryce believes each photo taken should tell a story, whether beginning a new life of wedded bliss or the celebration of a new family member.

I was recently given the opportunity to interview Ms. Bryce for Teen Ink.
 
Rachel- How did you first become interested in photography?
 
Lesley Bryce- I was always a ham in front of the camera, and I can remember  incessantly bugging my Dad to let me play with his 35mm Pentex camera.  During my senior year of high school I took a college class in photography and fell in love with the creativity of it. This love affair took me to California State University at Northridge, CSUN, where I majored and received a degree in Studio Arts/Fine Art Photography. 

What made me decide I wanted to be a Photographer was the idea I could capture a moment in time, from my point of view, and that it was possible to make someone think and see from a new perspective.
 
RH- What is your favorite subject to photograph? 
 
LB- I love to photograph emotion... A future project that I would love to do is I would really love to go on tour with a band and capture those quiet moments and emotions.  They would be used decades down the line to tell the story of the band... like the Beatles!
 
RH- You recently worked with Allisyn Ashley Arm; tell us about working with her.
 
LB- Allisyn is a really dope person!  Truly a sweetheart!  She takes direction really well and I loved capturing a more serious side to her.
 
RH- Who has been your favorite person to photograph?
 
LB- I would say all my shoots for Troix Magazine,  I am giving the openness with this magazine to get the talent involved in the shoot... get their ideas and feedback on how to make our shoot together even better.  Nothing better than having the subjects totally involved and having fun.
 
RH- If you could work alongside any photographer or photograph any person, who would it be and why?
 
LB- Dead? Hands down, Louis Hine. He was a master at capturing pure emotion and it would have been great to shadow him, to see how he worked/interacted with his subjects.

Alive? Annie Leibovitz, because as well , I think she truly understands how to capture real emotion.  I respect her non-obtrusive approach when working with people and I feel that I can relate. When I’m working it’s not about me, it’s about studying and capturing my subject. That moment can’t happen unless you check your ego at the door.
 
RH- Who do you count as your inspirations?

LB- Annie Leibovitz, Tyler Shields, Man Ray, Dorothea Lange just to name a few, and there are so many great ones.  I also get inspirations from color, nature, the human condition, friends, kids....
 
RH- What advice do you have for aspiring photographers?
 
LB- Take your camera everywhere you go and shoot, shoot, shoot.  Be unafraid... It’s a great way to learn and develop your own style.  Take constructive criticism and grow from it... but never let haters make you second guess yourself... you are your own unique self!