Television | Teen Ink

Television

January 13, 2009
By Anonymous

For many years, television has been blamed for many things. Teenagers committing violent
acts, young children using derogatory language, and luring people to eat fast food with sanguine commercials. But is it really TV that makes people do these things? Sure, people can make these accusations, but they cannot corroborate well. But some things about TV have left effects on adults, children, and other people.
In family life, according to the television statistics, the number of hours watched annually is 250 billion. It seems as though these phlegmatic families are wanting to spend more time watching TV than doing other things like doing productive things with each other or going out to a local friend’s house to do things. Of the 100% of Americans that watch TV, only 49% say that they watch too much TV. These people are respected more than the others because they are zealous and they are brave enough to admit it and that they may need help.
Then there are the children, who are the easiest targets for poignant commercials such as McDonald’s or Toys R Us. When they see commercials like these, they will do whatever it takes to make their parents take them to those kinds of places. Whatever they see on TV, they will believe. Because of this, about 4,000 studies are done examining TV’s effect on children. Also, children spend 1500 hours watching TV every year. As inundating as it sounds, 54% of children from ages four to six said that they would rather watch TV than spend time with their fathers.
One of the most controversial things that many people witness on TV is murder. Many of accused these programs of triggering people to commit violent acts and murder. The number of violent acts that a person sees on TV by age 18 is 200,000. The percentage of Americans who believe TV violence helps precipitate real life mayhem is 79%. It could be that violence on TV encourages people to kill and commit violence, but it has never been fully proven, and it may never be.
Television should be comprehensive to all people, but perhaps if they cut down on their hours, it could be healthy for them. But it is their decision if they want to help themselves.